1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How would you bid this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulMoody, Mar 14, 2003.

1. PaulMoody

PaulMoody LawnSite Member

I was asked by one of my regular commercial accounts to give a price on mowing their back lot behind the building. It has been gone over once a year with a bush hog in the past years. It is 120,000sf and level. The problem is it is not the most smooth. Almost all of it is mowable by my mowers, however with the bumpiness of the ground, I won't be able to go faster than 2nd gear with my walkbehind. This is an unirrigated ares and becomes very dry and dusty in the summer. It is mostly bunch grass and knap weed. They want it mowed about once a month. There is 2000 ft or fence and building to trim along.
    What would you bid? Please give suggestions with and without trimming included.
  2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Since it sounds to be just an overgrown field, little less than 3 acres that they just want controlled once a month, and being you have to mow it in second gear, I would say about $250-$300 an add $50 for trimming.
  3. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

That enviroment may be tough on a walk behind. Have you walked this area just to check things out. Are their rocks, sticks, litter, and other stuff to ruin blades. Last season I cut a lawn for a older gentleman that had not been mowed for about a month during the spring. The lawn was TALL and my 48'' Scag was not very impressed. I charged him $125 (10,000sq/ft) to do the job. However, I will not do a job similar to it again because it is hard on the mowers and blowing a $950 engine to make $125 is not worth it.