How would you build this?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Edgewater, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I posted this here thinking that there may be more responses due to the materials used. If I am wrong, please send it over to the water garden section.

How would you line this type of water feature? In my region, I know that it gets built on a concrete base, then the walls are mortared up. I am assuming that there is a pond liner behind the stone work. How do you guys attach the liner at the top edge so that it is not visible?

Adam

2. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Forgot the image

Attached Files:

3. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

first thing you would have to do is pour a footing to whatever depth you want the pnd to be. Next you either pour in place or block your core wall, after doing that you veneer the wall begining at you grade level (use your block or poured in place concrete determine where your grade is to be set) If you have freeze thaw cycles be sure you are use footing sitting below the frost line. With regards to the liner you have 3 options. You can use a manufactured plastic liner, next you thing you can do is usea rubber liner and hide it by laying the coping layer on top of it. Another option is you can use a liquid liner that you paint onto the finished concrete or block (if using block parge the inside so you have a smooth surface to adhere the liquid liner to) Hopefully that helps. P.S. If you do build such a thing be sure to chip the edges on the coping because the sawn edge coping looks like #$%^!!!

4. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

that Saw edge is poo poo, but a quick torching no problem.

5. EARTHWORKS LANDSCAPE GRP

EARTHWORKS LANDSCAPE GRP LawnSite Member

ma5tr, I agree with you on construction technique and rock facing the coping. Worth the $3.25 Linear ft. it is here.

6. EuroStone

EuroStone LawnSite Member
    from florida

Hey crab I heard about the torching method awhile back but didnt understand. Could you explain in more detail? I have done the sawed edge at a recent job on a spa and it looked alright.

7. EARTHWORKS LANDSCAPE GRP

EARTHWORKS LANDSCAPE GRP LawnSite Member

Euro, The torch is used to age the stone after it's rock faced or cut. It eliminates the swirl marks from the saw and the fresh break lines from the chisel for rock facing. Makes it look like the stone has always been like that.