1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How would you charge for these jobs.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TheYardBoys, Sep 4, 2007.

1. TheYardBoys

TheYardBoys LawnSite Member

OK i have done commercial mowing know for three years. I have quiet a name build for my self, but i want more. i have some sodding opportunities and Flower bed designing and building, but i did not how to begin to charge for these so i could not take the jobs on. Well my question is how would charge to do sodding and flower beds. :dizzy: :dizzy:
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

supply cost + what you want to make= total price
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Typically with a well written proposal with my price on it. Charge in US dollars.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Generally sod is sold by the sqft since costs tend not to change too much, charge more for less and less for more, if its a really big job I just sub it to the sod farm, if its only a couple of palletts I'll do it myself. Remember to have the ground prepped before delivery, stagger your joints and pull tight. I will rent hoses and sprinklers on timers to customers to help insure the sod receives water.

Flower beds up north here need to changed with the season, not sure about your area but you usually sell a full program where you prepare, install, and maintain year long. But if its just a one-time shot most people just charge $$ per flat. That price, like the sod per/sqft price depends on your costs and profit margin + what is the going rate in your area.
  5. sachris

sachris LawnSite Member

I have a question. I have just started to pick up some commercial projects here in South Texas and have nobody to ask questions to or run ideas by. Do you think you might be able to give me a little insight on how to price commercial jobs. Hedging and Mowing?? I just got an opportunity to take over a complex that is laying 22750 yrds of sod. The problem is all the grass is in between buildings and there is very little room for bigger equip. Do you charge by the sq. ft or what would you reccommend? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, christopher.
  6. TheYardBoys

TheYardBoys LawnSite Member

Grn Mtn yeah thats reallly good advise thanks i might use alot of that.
    sachirs i could tell you what i know about mowing and hegdes. if you are mowing charge 60 an hour. If your are doing hedges i charge 30 for a large, 25 for a middium bush and 20 for a small bush and this depends on how many times you are going to do and if you are only trimming them and not cutting them back. Because if you are cutting them back it well take you longer and you well have to charge more.