how would you feel about this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 21, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

sometimes i ask clients to write me a referel letter. they are more than happy to, and some have written some real nice things about me. last week a lady came out to chat, and complimented my work. i asked if she would mind writing me a referel letter, she said no problem. here it is, tell me if this is something you would present to a prospective client as a referel letter: "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN..... we have hired xyz landscaping to do work for us at xyz street. we are very happy with bobs work. bob is polite, and respectful. he shows up on time, he never complains. when told to do things, he does them in a timely manner, does a good job, and does not complain. we pay him a fair wage, and he's worth every penny. we would reccomend bob to anybody who needs yard work. if you have any questions feel free to call us at xxx-xxxx. " ;) i damn near sh!t my pants when she handed me this letter and i read it. i very politely said, "wow, thanx mrs. x, this is great." would you use this letter?
  2. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Yes, Why wouldn't you use it?
  3. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

What are you going to do hand this to a prospective customer?? I think that is kind of weird. The letter means much less if you hand it out than it does if customers just talk. You could write them yourselves and go crazy handing it out.

Instead of that you should give prospective customers who want more information a phone list and address of a few of your customers that are willing to talk about your service or a place they can drive by.

One thought though is that a person who needs this much re-assurance about the "Lawn Boy" is bound to be a PITA later.

Just dont take the new account and go grab a beer early... :drinkup:
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'm just wondering if this lady has all her faculties? Could she really be talking about you? :angel:
  5. bobbygedd

from NJ

hageman, that is a stupid question. all degree, i have started using a "package" this past spring that i give to prospective clients. the package includes written referels, copies of my pest license, proof of insurence, and a little "about us" pamphlet, as well as pictures of our best lawns. since i started this, the better clients seem to jump at the "opportunity" to have us. it's alot more than just some guy showing up at your door with a ciggarette hanging out of his mouth going, "umm, yea, it be about a buck one twenty five a month."
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Now you're learning...
  7. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

hahaha, I agree. Funny since I got a full color direct mailer from a real estate agent with a "testimonial" sentence I have been thinking about doing that. It makes a big difference to an ad. After noticing the one by the real estate agent who basically made that sentence with name from the customer the whole back side of his 4 by 9 I have noticed others use this technique well. If you want to charge top dollar you MUST at some point in some way communicate to the potential customer why you are worth more.
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

BobbyG I'm not being smart here at all but she alomost made you sound like her slaveboy.

I like the idea of the package. I also always give them the address of properities that we maintain in their area so that they can see for themselves.
  9. bobbygedd

from NJ

that's just it m@m. it makes me look like an EMPLOYEE, and perhaps she's recommending me for a job. the others that have given me refferels have use words like "knowledgable, professional, excellent service......" this lady used things like, "when told to do something, or, shows up on time..." i don't like it, it makes me look like a pee on, ummm, i mean lawn boy.
  10. not everybody can write

say thx and work on the next referel letter