How would You Fix this Paver Walkway?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Flapjack, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Flapjack

Flapjack LawnSite Member

Guys -

Our house has a front walkway that was installed when the house was built 18 years ago. Overall it has held up quite well. Right now there are three issues.

Background:

The builder poured a concrete pad instead of a stone base. On top of that is 1” of stone dust, and then the pavers. Plastic edging is used and it is staked into the ground – on dirt, not a base.

The issues:

1) Over time, the edging has been pushed out and also heaved in a few places. The main area of the walkway is fine, but the border pavers are now dipped down along the edge.

2) Moss between the pavers. Normally we annually spray for weeds, so they can be dealt with, but it doesn’t get the moss and my wife would prefer to have no moss. The pictures below show weeds since we didn’t spray this year, knowing that we had to do a repair. There are ants this year too.

3) We just had our driveway repaved which added almost 2 inches to the height next to the end of the walkway. The pavers need to be raised at that end to be flush again with the driveway.

Thoughts on solutions:

1) Get rid of the plastic edging and replace with Permaloc aluminum StructurEdge. Excavate 6” on each side of the walkway. Add a gravel base and compact. Install Permaloc on top of base with 10” spikes 12” O.C. (like below schematic).
    PaverEdgeInstallDiagram.jpg

2) Remove all of the pavers and dispose of the stone dust. Use 1” of concrete sand for the setting bed. Lay pavers and fill joints with polymeric stabilizing sand.

3) To raise the pavers up in height, I was thinking that the best way might be to pour additional concrete on the existing concrete pad base to bring it up.

What do you think? What would you do differently??

Thanks for any help and advice!

Pictures:
    Walkway1.jpg
    Walkway2.jpg
    Walkway3.jpg

Walkway1.jpg

Walkway2.jpg

Walkway3.jpg

PaverEdgeInstallDiagram.jpg

2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

If the all the pavers are set on concrete and is in decent shape, this what I would do, take all pavers out get more of the same if you can find them or even better get a thicker paver for the border, mortar down the pavers for the border and raise them up tho be even with the black top, mortar down all the border to the concrete so you can raise it up about an inch higher or less,cut the black top so pavers fit tight, drill weeping holes and then (I know the concrete sand police will yell at me) put down 1/4" gravel you will never get ants, if you use concrete sand make sure you put down geotextile fabric, install polymeric sand compact lightly even a hand tamper would do.
    I would definitely lay the border as soldier course and wouldn't save all the smalls pieces or try fit them in the same spot.
    Moss usually develops due to shade and moisture make sure the walkway is draining correctly if over time starts to develop spray a little bit of bleach mix with water that usually kills it.

3. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

bull dose it and start from scratch

4. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

If the concrete base is in good condition, I say get rid of the old pavers and put down flagstone or thicker pavers in mortar.
    If you do reinstall pavers on concrete sand, polymeric sand is a no-no over a concrete base, it has to have drainage.
    Or, as southerngreenscapes said, tear it all out and start from scratch.

5. AztlanLC

I don't see nothing wrong with those pavers they complement the house nicely, stone sounds good too but I'm pretty sure he's trying to keep cost down and be able to do it himself, I still think you can mortar the border and do a dry laid after that

6. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

7. AztlanLC

I don't get it why excavate 6-8"

Also polymeric sand is not recommend it by manufactures when you mortar down all pavers

8. Flapjack

Flapjack LawnSite Member

AztlanLC is right...I'm looking to keep the cost down and do it myself. I'm certainly not going to bulldoze a perfectly good base that has served us well.

I am also wondering the same questions as PerfiCut. I'll be bummed if I can't use poly sand to lock the pavers.

9. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

10. Flapjack

Flapjack LawnSite Member

What if there is leveling sand between the concrete base and the pavers? Still no polysand?