How would you fix this yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, Jul 27, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Yard has tire tracks from removing a shed in the back, some 8-10 inchs deep, some just 2-3 inchs.

I know how I would do it, just looking for other opinions on how you would accomplish this job? If there is another way.

MY WAY................

1) Till exsisting damaged areas
    2) Bring in top soil, spread
    3) Fert, seed, water

Thank you
  2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on length.
    Get a few bags of black topsoil and spread into the ruts. Lighty roll. Load seed into my push type grass seeder and seed it. Rake lightly. Tell customer to keep it moist. For an extra charge you could cover it with burlap to speed up the grass and keep in moisture.
  3. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

so are you saying you would not till up area? just add good soil to the rutted area.
  4. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

you will be looking at some serious man hours if you were to till it up but it will warrant the best results. It all depends on the budget you are on. If it is, say, a 40' stratch you can spread topsoil, seed, cover and be out in 4-6 hours. You would almost double or tripple that if you were to till it.

If you are worried about the compaction, another idea would to be fill in the rutts and aereate or verticut the areas around the ruts. This could even be accomplished with an inexpensive 18" push aereator. They kinda look like a Push reel mower but with spikes instead.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Your way will work and that would be the way I would do it if the ground is heavy clay. If it is decent topsoil and there is decent drainage then I would probably skip the tilling.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is a good subject as I am frequently frustrated by yards with deep, continuous ruts that about knock your teeth out of their foundations lol... That, or the landscaping is just so uneven it takes an expert not to drive the blades into the dirt and even then...

My question is, if you till, how do you keep it from rutting from there on out? I mean the soil is so soft at that point, how do you do anything at all with it that doesn't create more ruts, I can't see driving even a Wb over it...
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Aerate the entire lawn in 2 or 3 directions. Fill the ruts and level them. Overseed the entire yard, heavier seed in the ruts. Works for me. Gives a nice uniform appearance. Did just the ruts a few times, and my good quality seed stuck out like a sore thumb in the crappy surrounding area.
  8. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

top soil in ruts seed straw fert tell them to water and they probably won't