How would you get your Ztr back on the trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm just wondering in case it happens. How would one get their ZTR back on the trailer if for some reason it broke down at a customers home and you could not fix it there? I know you could release the dump valve to push it to the trailer but how would you get it up the rampgate onto the trailer?:waving:

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have had this problem, and, after a little thought, came up with a way to get it on the trailer. I unhooked the trailer from my truck, and blocked the trailer wheels. Also put a block under the back of the trailer, to keep it from tilting when the weight of the ZTR was on the ramp. I then hooked a rope from my trailer ball, back across the trailer, to the front center of the ZTR. Moved the truck ahead and it pulled the machine right up onto the trailer. Rehooked the trailer, and I was off to the shop.

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You can buy electric wenches or hand crankers and mount to front of trailer.

4. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

That seems like a whole lot of work, but it worked. I don't think i would of thought of that. Thanks

5. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I was thinking the exact same thing recently. I'm solo, and was picturing the scenario, with the mower broken down far from the trailer or any pavement, & lets add a slight hill. My Z is small but weighs in at 860lbs. I really don't think I can push the sucka. Glad you brought this up.... I think:weightlifter:

hillndale

6. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

As said above - electric winch is less than $100.00.:usflag:

7. Turf Cutters

Turf Cutters LawnSite Member

I have used my other Z to push the broken one up the ramp, also I have used a walk behind to pull or push. A come-a-long works too.

8. exmark1

exmark1 LawnSite Member

I think I would get a tow strap from the truck and pull it with the other mower, this obviously only works in cases where you have 2 ztr's on site!

9. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a electric/ handcrank winch from habor freight and mounted the base plate on trailer floor ,did a trial run pulling walk up on trailer and it worked! Dont know how hard the z will pull tho

10. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Winches would be the easiest way. I got stuck like that one time. Just had to wait for someone to help me push it on.