1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How would you go about trimming these?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by frogman18, May 10, 2008.

1. frogman18

frogman18 LawnSite Member

Admittedly im by no means an expert when it comes to trimming, so how would i go about trimming these spruce trees? As you can see all 3 are different sizes and there is a window behind the middle one that needs to be at least partly exposed. Any ideas?

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Your best bet is to selectively remove a couple of branches all the way back to the trunk to create a sight line from the window so it is not completely obscured. Other option is to dig up the tree and relocate it somewhere else.

Whatever you do don't take hedgers to it. Selectively make pruning cuts at other branches or the main trunk. Do not leave any stub cuts. Good luck.
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You could take off the top third, which would expose the top half of the window.

How to make them look good and that they belong there is going to be a matter of taste. Are all the branches hitting the house on the corner tree?
  4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Did you plant these so close to the house? All trees need to be 20' away from the house. You do know that these will get 20'+ high: send out horizontal roots, crack your foundation, kill the surrounding grass; cause the basement to be wet, cause a mold problem, and possibly cause a Radon leak that will kill you in your sleep
    I'd prune theme at ground level with a chainsaw.
    Harsh, I know but just think of the trouble in the future when you've have grown an attachment to them. Sometimes it would hurt less when they are small. .
    Hate to be the bearer of bad new but it is a fact. Replace with mulch and Rotunda Holly and Goldenthread cypress
    PS I'm just down from you in Kingsport, TN
  5. frogman18

The area you see of the house used to be a deck that was built over so the foundation is nothing more than some 4x4s with block layed around it, so thats no big deal. The actual foundation and basement of the house are about 16' away.
  6. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

wow...interesting advice.
    Cut the middle one down because you'll never get it to look right in front of the window. Plant a jap holly under it.
    The other two trees-prune this years growth off and about 2 inches more. Do this in about june. large hedge clippers should work. To keep them this height, prune the new growth every year in about june. I used to work on a x-mas tree farm.
    ps. the one on the corner will do better if you don't hit it with the truck. :)
  7. frogman18

Yeah i have to pull up that far so the person can get out of the garage on the on the other side.

Just alittle update after some thinking, we decided that the trees have to go and some hedges are going in.

So thanks for the advice guys!
  8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Think about some Pigmy Barberrys--there small, beautiful color, sticky, easy to hedge and shape. Plant among some annual marigolds which insects hate. All in a well manicured (Edged) mulch bed. Good choice on loosing those trees; they would have really gotten ugly, thin, and dangerous. They're beautiful way out on boundaries (They're timber trees).
    The color of those barberrys would tie in with the shutter color and I think the tan color of the house.
    Good Luck.
  9. frogman18

Thats exactly what i have bought to go there
  10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Barberries look good crackling on a fire. I charge alot extra when I work around those stupid things.
    But in reality taking the trees out was the best idea. Move them out into the yard where they have room to grow? Or are you going to trash them?