How would you handle this corner? (hardscaping)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dave88LX, Apr 30, 2012.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If your putting a fence up, then I would just grade out the bed, throw some good landscape fabric down and then some rock.

KISS method on this one. Don't get to fancy, and I'm not trying to knock/badmouth your property, but you can only put so much lipstick on the pig.

Like I always tell my clients, if you've got plans for the house, do that first and the landscaping last.

Also, if your using a string line and string line level, you must have your line extremely taught in order for it to read correctly. Ditch the wooden posts and get some long 1/2 re-bar and steel posts to tie your line to.

2. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

KISS...woops. Too late. :)

Option 1, 2, or 3? Or something else? I have the 'caps' too to put on there.

[​IMG]

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Option four:

Make the entire top one smooth course. You pick the height.

4. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

Yessir. Decided not to go with any of those options. I don't want to go 7 rows high with this wall, it'll probably be fine, but I don't trust it.

This is what a couple of us came up with (stones are just laying on top, need to remove the lips and put down adhesive).

Next I need to decide what to plant. I'm clueless. That's another post though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. White Gardens

Did you glue each course?

No need to do that in the future. The only glue you need is for the caps.

6. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

I did use adhesive between each course, because I needed to knock the retaining lip off in order to stack them vertically instead of laid back 1" per course as the lip would force them to do.

Or are you saying I could get away without adhesive even without the lip?

7. White Gardens

I see what you did now.

Yes, you would need glue for each course if the lip is gone.

8. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

Final update for anyone that was watching this...aside from plants, which I still haven't done yet. :(

[​IMG]

9. Giestimator

Giestimator LawnSite Member

Start at the lowest spot of the wall and start building from there. Those hd block are going to be a pain on that sharp corner in the front by the drive. Easier to use timbers if you aren't familiar with what your doing

10. Giestimator

Giestimator LawnSite Member

Don't pay attention to last one your already done..... Where does the drain go