1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how would you handle this situation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Aug 24, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have ran into a problrm twice in past couple of weeks doing fence cleanups. I went to a customers house with a badly overgrown chainlink fence with vines and small trees. Customer tells me to do inside of fence only and not on outside on neighbors side. Neighbor come over and tells me that I should do both sides since its not his fence, customer tells me he will only pay for his side. I actually had one old lady and my customer get in shouting match over this, and finally customer told me to do both sides and maybe it will shut her up LOL Ran into same thing today except customer told me NOT to do the other side even though it was her fence. How do you keep everyone happy here? Naturaslly Im going to do what the customer pays me to do though.

Quality Lawn Care
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Do what they ask you to do. If they wanted you to go over into the neighbours yard and knock down part of the neighbours old fence then thats a no go. But if its their fence and they want to put up with angry neighbours then thats their problem, not yours.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

No BC, both times the customer made it very plain NOT to do the other side. The first one told me to do it after match with angry neighbor. Second one did not give a hoot if neighbor liked it or not.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I think your final sentence says it all.
    Do what you are being payed for, the customers neighbor is not your problem.
  5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i always use the " i'm just doing what the customer wants, and is paying me for. if you would like to speak to them, i think they are home. Mam (sir), i'm just doing my job.." line. works everytime. sometimes i pretend to sympathize with them,:)
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

BTW Im going to always do what customer ask but that first incedent like to got ugly. lady starts on me and I back her off real fast then starts on customer and I wind up doing it anyway. I was hoping my customer would not give in after way she acted to me but he did.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

walk away from it. its not your fight and not worth the hassle.

8. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

It seems you can't please both sides, so I think you are right - just do what you are paid to do. Maybe you can go to the neighbor afterward and say, "I can make your side look like the other for $____ because they will not let me do both sides". It never hurts to ask....
  9. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

I agree with everyone else. Do what you're paid to do. Neighbors will be neighbors.
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

I forgot to add that these are 2 area Im trying to get into real bad, middle-upper class amd I would like to have some of these, samll square easy yards. I see lcos everywhere so I wanted to get in. I will say these confrotations have made me leary now about the area. Sneaky, how have you enjoyed this nice hot muggy weather and high bahai grass in our area and I still do not know who you are and no bigger than my town is I should have seen you.

Quality Lawn Care