1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How would you handle this

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by True Cut Lawn Maintenance, Aug 12, 2005.

1. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Customer called me the other day wanted his yard mowed, had seen my ad in the paper so i went mowed the thing didnt take me all that long handed me 20 bucks and i was on my way

well he calls me tonight and says he wants me to continue mowing amongst other things well the only problem with that is im a mow trim and edge guy i dont do odd jobs. he wants me to do snow removal and all this

am i getting myself into a PITA or what should i do, am thinking about sending him a letter stating that i only mow yards and if he wishes to continue with that then i will but that is all i do and nothing else

as i am planning on getting a job this winter to advance my knowledge of swine so i can eventually leave lawn care and go into farming

your thoughts are appreciated
  2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you "want" to go into farming, you would much rather only work part of the year :rolleyes:

Besides that Snow is big money.
  3. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Naw.......no need for a letter. Just pick up the phone and call him & explain in a nice way what your business is limited to. If he doesn't fit........cool. Just move on.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

work the rest of the season.....get paid............do the fall cleanup...........if need be dump him when the snow flies
  5. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i would rather get into swine genetics b/c a boar is wortha hell of a lot more than cutting grass

would i rather sell a load of pigs out for X dollars or mow a yard for $40 bucks

me personaly id rather go to shows sell my good pigs and bring home a nice check
  6. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Well I suppose there are beneifits to some fine swine, but they stink :)

I agree research and genetics could pay well, and you can always hire farm labor to care for the animals.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You're not getting yourself into a PITA, you're just getting yourself into a customer who wants service. If you aren't into taking care of all this guy's needs, pass it on to someone who is.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right ,why dident you just tell the guy when he was on the phone with you the second time asking you to do this work?All ya had to say was"I would be glad to mow your lawn for you but that's all I do..you will need to find someone else to handle the other stuff for you".
    That's it !!
    You might not retain this guys lawn work if he needs an all around ,year round maintenance person.
    Can't have the cake and eat it too in some cases.
    there are people who don't mind useing different people for every job they need done.
    Then there are others who dont want to mess with hireing one for mowing,one for fertilization,one for weed control,one for snowremoval ect ect.I don't blame them.
    That's why alot of LCO's diversify
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You're a funny guy, farming and lawncare are both in the same industry - agricultural.
    And working ag means only one thing:
    Seasonal work with long, hard hours and little rest for months at a time, followed by weeks of hardly any work.
    Expensive equipment and government regulations to slow you DOWN so you don't go around thinking you'll get rich anytime soon.

But you should do what drives you, and if boars excite you then boars you should do.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've always loved the term "hog futures"... I'm sorry, but BACON is NOT a career!