How would you handle this??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Xcellent Lawn, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Xcellent Lawn

Xcellent Lawn LawnSite Member

What would you do if you lost 3 customers you had for 7 yrs and you happen to drive by the cuts since you have been cutting that sub for years. As you drive up to the old cuts an X employee is cutting them. He has seen you cut these lawns for yrs and cut them when he worked for you a few yrs ago before he started his own company. Opions please?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Back alley,baseball bat,darkness....................................

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

back alley, heck I would have done it right there in the open

That is why I never discussed the customers price or contract with my past employees. That was my business not theirs. He probably knew of the price that you were charging and lowered it.

4. thelawnkid

thelawnkid LawnSite Member

Just let it go for now, and next year go and take some of his customers, as many as you can.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would stop laugh at him and say, all the lawns I do and all a loser like you can get is 3?

6. JB1LNDSCPR

JB1LNDSCPR LawnSite Member

Its called competition...Thats why you don't let any extra info leak to your employee's...like what you charge and things like that.

7. Xcellent Lawn

Xcellent Lawn LawnSite Member

I dont think it comes down to knowing what I charged for the cut...anyone can aproach someone and negotiate with them..He didnt know what I charged but when you lowball it doesnt matter. Im sure he just expressed that he would do it for less.

I see so many new company's lowballing...makes me sick...

Thanks for your reply's....

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I have started several in business.:D

Had a guy who did not own a chain saw when he left Davey Tree. Now he has a good business and won't even do my tree work!
    Had a guy work for me for 5 years then one day no show. He took a $36,000 a year account. Had a pruner who started out on their own.

I say don't worry about it. Just don't offer any help to them and keep your eyes and ears open.

9. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

The only thing you could have done differently is make any employee sign a confidentiality and non-competition agreement. You will then have legal action if that former employee even thinks about taking your customers for the alloted time frame (usually a 18 or 24 month max). I make all my employees both oil and lawn care sign them. I even have sub contractors that do a lot of work for us sign them.

It will be the only legal way you can protect your business. ask your attorney to draw one up for you it is really worth the little bit of money it cost. More guys in this business probably should use them!!

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

selnoil,
    you've got a good point there.