1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how would you have answered?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 29, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have a first year client, we contracted for ferts/weed/insect control, as well as aeration, lime. ok, our standard fert program. his 7k property was $400 for the above. i also cut the grass, edge/mulch the beds, and feed the plants. ok, so, he is infested with nutsedge. i told him my fee for nutsedge treatment is $35 per gallon (cash price). this makes $245 for treatment #1, then i told him he needs 2 treatments, for a total of $490. he fell over. so, what he did was, call, you know who, i won't even say it. they refused to treat just for the sedge, they wanted him to buy a full program. listen to this package- pre em/crab control, two broadleaf treatments, merit, 4 fertilizers, aeration, overseeding, AND the nutsedge treatments for a whopping price of $300. well, my client contacted me and told me he felt inclined to sign with them. i said sure, fine, no problemo. so, they started 2 weeks ago. they ferted the crappola out of it (average temps here last 2 weeks were 95+), they sprayed for broadleafs (there was not a single weed in that lawn) and they sprayed for nutsedge. yea, before, there was alot of sedge, but, the lawn was green, it is now brown, with fairy rings, and many dead spots. i just laughed when i pulled up today to a wheat field. the customer came out asking me what the heck happened, what are these circles, why do i have dead spots, why is my lawn straw? i refused to answer any questions, repeatedly telling him, "ask your fert guy, ask your fert guy, this is none of my business." what would you have said?
  2. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I probably would have said the same thing. Now he is going to expect you to clean up their damn mess. I love it when someone goes with the more "economical" service and gets this kind of service.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

You Did The Right Thing. But, I Would Take Some Pics Then Offer To Fix Everything At Slightly Elevated Prices For The Hassles. Explain To Him That What Was Done Can Not Easliy Be Reversed. After Documenting Everything , This Job Might End Up Being Your Best Sales Pitch Ever. But Then Again People Vote With The Wallet Not With The Brain. Try Explaining The Extra Money Pays For You ................not For Some Scrub In A Uniform Pretending To Know What Hes Doing.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

It kind of works out in your favor if he does hire you to clean the mess. At a normal hourly rate, you should be able to make a decent amount then on top of that he will probably hire you to do your program from now on since theirs sucked. Congrats to you if that is how it turns out!
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have told him the same thing....."not my problem, call your fert guy."

But I think this could definately work out in your favor......you know....surcharges.
  6. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah-say " I don't know, all I do is cut the lawn" In fact, no fert program, no service period.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

8. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I'd tell him you get what you pay for, call me if you want it fixed and we can discuss a proper course of action.
  9. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

I had a similar situation happen to me today. they guy calls me up and gives me a sob story about how the past 2 lco's are crappy and the 2nd guy cut the first one by 1 dollar. he wanted a full contract for 12 months with all the goodies included. so...i gave him a price and he tell me he lives on the poor side of the lake and i was charging way too much ...etc etc. the whole time i am thinking to myself ... well if you want good service your going to have to pay for it but if you pay for the cheap service your going to get exactly that.