1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How would you have reacted

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The last time we had any thing near this was in 2005, and although we turned that man's business down, he was mild in comparison to the man I talked with yesterday .I went on a
    consultation, all terms were agreeable with the potential customer. But, before the fellow would sign he asked what the ethic makeup of our employees were. As I previously stated three or four other times, I have had potential clients, every one of which moved in our area from out of state, ask if our employees were Mexican, or Hispanic, and all were basically your typical ignorant people. Myself, or staff managed to get the contract signed, with all but the one. Those cases did not enrage, to where I wanted to go to killville.All but the one, just basically said they didn't perfer hispanics on thair landscape.

This particular breed didn’t just ask if many of our employees were Mexican or Hispanic, he belts out and asks—if I employ greasers or spicks.As I'm staring in disbelief, he keeps repeating, do you hire greasers and spicks,it sounded almost like a stupid rap tune. I am not by any stretch of the imagination a politically correct individual. But, I think Calling people those terms in such a
    derogatory manner, is uncalled for, and has no place in business discussions,or the modern world for that matter. But I have asked myself, if it were not for me being so personally involved because my wife is of Mexican decent, would I have followed a different direction and tried to get the contract signed. Somebody less personally evolved, possibly might would have tried to use people skills and got the contract signed. Although I just can't imagine any company wanting to talk this insidious individual into useing their company,after his remarks. It was a big contract, and I might add,he will be hard pushed to find a company around here capable of managing an account on the scale of his; that does not utilize Hispanic workers.

What I did was, not say a further word, pick up the contract,business cards and brochures, cuss them out in the Ghaidhlig,and got out of there as fast as I could. So, how would you guys, whose work force is dependent on a large percentage of Hispanic Workers reacted to this man.How would have any of you reacted, as people .
  2. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

The way I look at it is; plain ignorance. Each and every race has it bottom of the barrel type of people and to stereotype a whole race as such is sickening.
  3. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

Im not in a situation were that would be a problem for me yet, but I respect what you did. We have a few folks, not as many as most think, who act that way toward African Americans, and Im pretty sure I wouldnt have been able to hold my tongue. I might be a big, dumb Redneck, but just because you are Redneck doesnt mean you are racist. Most of us Rednecks down here arent!

Oh, by the way, is that a pic of your wife?....WOW!
  4. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a tough one, you did the right thing..Situations like that "shock me" more than anything...it takes a little time to register. You sound like you care about your employees, nothing wrong with that.
  5. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Yep did the right thing. I employ a thai girl and get similar rubbish from some clients.Dont stay clients for long.
    She is a knowledgable hard LEGAL worker. In fact my best employee...If they dont like it they can get #$%^&* I dont need their piddling business I will only work for people now that appreciate our work.
    Did the correct thing Bill well controlled.

My sister in laws husband is Mexican (legal in USA!) and his family are some of the best people on this earth.So what does it matter where the $%&^ you were born?
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would have just came out and told him that he is just plain ignorant, and that it doesn't matter what color or race someone is. there are decent hardworking ppl. of every race. I would top it off by telling him that I don't think he would be a good fit for our company and it was a pleasure meeting with him. Thanks but no thanks.

Heck he probably wouldn't wanna hire me b/c im black, so i guess thats a double negative, and black guy and mexicans OMG this guy miay of had a heart attack...LMAO:usflag:
  7. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

incredible .yeah i think you did the right thing thats for sure i couldnt imagine that i would do anything different.i really cant cop racisim.i employ a white girl, blonde and some guys cant even cope with that .as far as im concern these people arent quite right,ignorant,as somebody else mentioned
  8. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

You did the right thing. I wouldn't have bothered talking to him. You weren't going to change him, so there was nothing to be gained. Kicking his ass might have been fun, but that would have amounted to nothing more than a tiny drop of revenge in all the oceans of injustice that are out there.
  9. tfosterjr

tfosterjr LawnSite Member

One of the benefits of being self employed is the ability to pick and choose who you do business with. I doubt if he asked the electric or phone companies which employees they would be sending. I also doubt if he would tell the ambulance or the FD to leave because they had a foreign national on the crew.
  10. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe this was a lost opportunity to show this ignorant man that people are people.

Yes, his comments show his ignorance but you could have countered it with positives and maybe, just maybe, the racist scales covering his eyes would fall allowing him to see the light.

Some people have been around racists their entire life, passing it from one generation to the next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.