How would you hide these electrical boxes?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Above Par Lawns, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Customer requested to have these three Burning Bushes removed. He wants to hide the electrical boxes in front with some new plants WITHOUT extending the bed out. I thought about using native grasses or Russian sage but there would be times throughout the year the boxes would be visible. Something evergreen would be good, but without extending the bed I'm having trouble picturing a design that would work. How do you hide something tall at the front of a bed?

Sorry in advance if the pictures are crooked. :cry:

image.jpg

2. Above Par Lawns

He wants to hide it from all angles.

image.jpg

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

In order to hide the front box you will HAVE to extend the bed a lil bit. Do a nice grouping of 3gal boxwoods around the boxes will create a hedge or maybe some cleyera.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

that's gonna be hard to do without moving the bed out a bit since the electrical box is right at the edge of the bed.

5. Above Par Lawns

Also, these burning bushes are 7' tall and I can only imagine the root systems. What precautions would you take when removing them with 3 boxes in the way?

6. Above Par Lawns

That's what I was thinking. He says the mower his lawn guy uses fits perfectly through there and doesn't want to expand out from there! Lol, he uses a 60 and I have a 48 stander. I said "that's why I should cut for you." But he lives in a maintenance provided community so they take care of that for him.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

hard to tell from the pic but maybe suggest extending the bed out to include that tree in the edge of the pic and do away with a mower having to go in between there altogether. :laugh:

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Otto Luyken would work if you just merged both beds together.

9. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

The utility company will need access to those boxes and when they do they will just cut any type off shrub down to the ground.

10. norsky

norsky LawnSite Member
    from MN

very true.......there is restrictions on how close you can have landscaping around their utility boxes. i would look around the neighborhood to see what other homeowners are doing.