How would you light this dry-stacked stone wall?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by irrig8r, Nov 30, 2007.

1. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Gregg... I like that FX CG fixture, and while you are looking at small diameter/footprint inground well lights, you might want to check into these from Intense! Lighting:

http://www.intenselighting.com/productinfo.php?id=356

They are quite nice... I used some this past spring in a drive-over situation to highlight some Wrought Iron gates. They are rugged, and to my surprise and delight, have had no water ingress to date. They come with a grated lens for glare control and you can also fit a honeycomb glare louver to the lamp with a clip. They are a nice, small dia. inground.

Have a great day.

(P.S. Jack is doing well, and I will send out an update to all the friends and family just as soon as we get home... Not sure if that will be today or tomorrow at this point.)

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Very glad to hear Jack is doing well. I saw that you had been on Lawnsite, so I knew you had a long day yesterday.

3. irrig8r

BTW, never heard of Intense! lighting before. They look like they're probably up there in a price range w/ Hunza, Vision3, BK, etc.

Looks like they are in Anaheim...

So what is it about so many lighting companies in Southern Cal? Could it have anything to do with a labor pool of so many skilled defense plant workers (machinists) laid off in the eighties and early nineties?

Is it that people live outdoors more of the year?

4. irrig8r

I was just browsing the Nightscaping catalog and ran across the Sazliter. This looks interesting at only 2.5" across. I'm going to check with the factory. I know they could replace the standard SCB with a wedge base with no hassle. I wonder if it might also be wide enough for an MR-11 ??? Now that would be a very low profile uplight.

http://www.nightscaping.com/sazliter.htm

And being brass, it should have a lifetime warranty, right James?

5. Frog Lights  LLC

Frog Lights LLC LawnSite Member

If you would like to try our DS-1 Stainless steel deck light. try mounting with a bracket that would slide in or lag it to the rock/ wall at even levels. Normal wholesale is $47. We will accommodate and ship direct to you for $25 each.

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0125.JPG

6. irrig8r

Thanks for the suggestion and offer.

However, I'm looking for something that is going to age gracefully, and blend in as smoothly as possible, i.e. copper or brass.

7. Frog Lights  LLC

Frog Lights LLC LawnSite Member

We make the same item in solid brass also.

8. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Given the nature of the wall - very irregular and loose, I would avoid deck-type lights. Also tons of labor. Thinking also of consistency in design, I would look to light both stairs and paths in the same way. The obvious conclusion would be to use china-hat type path lights spaced about 10 ft. apart just behind the uphill side of the stone walls. Where possible you could have path lights on the opposing side as well. Of course, being sure to select path lights with no glare when viewed from below.

I also see a nice pergola at the top of the path - that may be a useful mount for a downlight for addtional illumination at the path head.

9. irrig8r

Thanks Steve. Good observation- there already is one there at the top landing shining from above... a tacky fixture from Luma. I'd like to do something better there too as part of renovating the entire lighting system.... first this project to get my foot in the door. Check your PMs.

10. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Is this really a great idea to mention wholesale prices openly? Couldn't this have been done in PM? How's a guy to make a decent markup when his cost is laid bare for the public to see. Thank you.