How would you mow a 60 degree slope?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CommercialSnow, Apr 24, 2011.

1. CommercialSnow

CommercialSnow LawnSite Member

its about 100 yds long and 15 ft high. we are currently using a 21 inch mower for as much as possible and then going with a weed eater for the rest. Is there a wheel attachment(or anything) I can get for the weed eater to make it easier to keep it the same length of cut? My guys would love a better way. They got tired fast on this one.

2. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

your walk behind wont do it?

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

We had one member use a push mower on a rope. Seriously, not sure if he still takes care of that property.

4. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

There was a residence locally that was in the paper doing just that.
    I met with the guy once and he laughed about his picture being in the local news paper.
    His yard was as steep, but I'd say much larger and farther to fall.

He ended up planting Junipers instead.

I wonder if your weed eater guys are using their shoulder straps? If they aren't, that would help balance out the trim and lessen fatigue.
    I hope no-body on your team gets injured on that slope.

I let my clients know that if it's too wet to work on a dangerous area, it will be skipped. If we get hurt, there could be a compensation claim.
    We just try to keep it cut low in case we need to skip a week or two.

Even though I put this in the contract, you can never guarantee that there won't be complaints

ARGH

5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Yup, I still use the mower on a rope as it seems to be the most efficient. Just buy a cheapo murray mower attach it above both rear wheels with a thin dog cable then attach the rope to it. Make sure you eat your wheaties though because you'll be panting if your not in shape. But it beats falling down with the string trimmer and sliding down the hill on your butt. My Murray smokes alot but is still going strong after 5 yrs.

6. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Could attach the string to the back of your ZRT and just go back and fourth, faster and zero fatigue. If you put some time into the design you might be able to attach two of the mowers side by side so you would have a double wide.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

That's a funny story. Do you wear "cleats" when cutting it?

8. MJB

from Wa

No you stand up on top on the flat surface so no need for cleats. I'm just glad it's only once per month. We mow everything else weekly but the bank is monthly.

9. MJB

from Wa

Not mine ! But yours would be ok. I'll be the one with the camara though.:laugh:

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Do you still have the picture MJB or a link to the post? And by the way how are your 3 Kawasaki's as far as fuel is concerned? Does one model do better than the others?