How would you pay your helper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kleen Kutz, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Kleen Kutz

Kleen Kutz LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ama,La

Hey guys! I'm wondering if you owned every piece of equipment that you have. And I now have a hepler, how would you pay your helper? Would you pay per yard or by hour? If paid by yard how much per yard, or how much an hour? Thanks in advance!!!:cool2:

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you should look into what your labour laws are for your state.
    Normally you pay a person by the hour, they have a set amount of hours
    they can work per day and per week and you have to do a proper payroll with
    deductions and all of that.

Down there, I would guess 9 bucks an hour to start. Too Much? This is hard work and
    you want to keep employees happy, so you can be happy.

3. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

How? I pay my helper sometimes helpers fair and on time every Friday. :)

4. Kleen Kutz

Kleen Kutz LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ama,La

ok great info!!! but where i would go or look up the type of info at? cause i normally just pay my helper out of my earnings for the day instead of at the end of the week. i always get paid after i've done each yard.

5. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Stick to that method just make sure they fill out a 1099 and file it at tax time.

6. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

You need to determine if this worker is an independent contractor or employee and then follow the irs's rules accordingly. This should get you started.

7. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Wrong on the 1099.

Your helper isnt using his own equipment, setting his own schedule, making his own routes, or using his on materials. He is your employee. Don't get yourself in trouble and learn the laws before you give advice.

8. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

MowHouston was exactly right, if you use his equipment and if he tells you what to do and where to go, you are an employee and not an independent contractor, dont get 1099'd and take the hit on self-employment tax, I found that out the hard way.

9. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Check the laws on piece work then get back to me with your responce then.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What does piecework have to do with lawncare?

"Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), industrial homework (also called "piecework") means the production by any covered person in a home, apartment, or room in a residential establishment, of goods for an employer who permits or authorizes such production, regardless of the source (whether obtained from an employer or elsewhere) of the materials used by the homeworker in producing these items."

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/industrialhomework.htm