How would you rate these engines, from best to worst

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Huck, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Huck

Huck LawnSite Member

:D Just curious as to how you would rate these engines in order of best to not so good,taking into consideration performance,maintenance,durability,etc.(Kaw,Kohler,Honda,B&S,),any others?.Just curious.:)
  2. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

Honda(by far)

im guessing the only difference you will see is between the kaw and koler.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

In my opinion the Kaw, Koh and Honda are comparable except that the Honda has parts availability issues. B&S engines show up for a gunfight with a knife.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive had all but honda . kohler is my choice but not by much.
    good service out of every one you didnt mention
    the only one i dont use so i wont either.
  5. MowForReal

MowForReal LawnSite Member

I have equipment with all brand engines...
    Kohler 15HP, Kawasaki 12.5hp, 14hp, 23hp, honda 5hp, briggs 9hp, 16hp. Personally, the 16hp briggs vanguard is my favorite. It is extremely smooth. It's a pull-start and it's easier to pull than every engine I have ever pulled. The sound of it too is very smooth and steady. I think the vanguard is a great engine. Has anyone consistantly had problems with theirs? I know that many people come across the lower standard briggs engines and have problems with those. I won't put the brands in order from best to worst because I don't believe I have had enough experience with them. I haven't had more than problem and that was with a 23hp kawi and my dealer said that mine was the unlucky one out of the bunch.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If you are talking commercial OHV engines only,I like Honda,B&S Vanguard,kawi,kohler.I have a lot of honda and kawi's,but never have needed any parts ,other than maintance,so Im not sure how hard parts are to get yet.
  7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Honda #1
  8. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Honda seems to be the best but I have a 6 H.P. Wisconsin/Robin that was purchased about 10 years ago for a log splitter. It started on the first pull right out of the box and has done so on each start since then. Can't believe how smooth and quiet it is at about any speed.
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I personally like Yanmar diesels. I have had 3 of them and still have 2 of them. Kohler has been a great engine for me too. I've had several of them and next to no problems. I have over 3,400 hours on one and I've never gotten that many hours out of any other air cooled engine.

I've considered getting a Honda on my next Chopper, but Honda said they don't have enough oil pressure to add the Amsoil filter and also Honda won't let DC use the Donaldson air filter. To me, those are two things that will add longevity to a unit, so I might go with a Kohler again.
  10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

In my opinion.....