How would you smooth out a field?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grasswhacker, May 26, 2005.

1. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I mow about 6 of 24 acres around our house, however it is very bumpy and rough even though the lawn looks very nice. I have to mow it a half speed or my body feels like I'm in a paint shaker. Should i take a roller over the ground after it rains (hate to roll a lawn)? Any suggestions?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Take a Harley rake to it this fall and re-seed.

3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Thank you, I'll look into that.

4. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

The best way to smooth out a field is by top dressing or lawn leveling.

5. kilpatrickshrub&turf

kilpatrickshrub&turf LawnSite Member

Run a box blade over it and re seed. Called by some a "grade box".
    If real rough b sure the blade box has a scarifier bar.

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Agree with Adamma...why renovate a lawn that is in good shape when another method and a little patience will solve the problem? You can roll and aerate to relieve the compaction created from rolling it or you can topdress the lawn with a fine mulch or sand, slowly raising the lawn and evening it out. Take a page from the golf guys on this, they don't cut their greens out when they want to change contours and slopes.

7. Green Pastures

Explain "lawn leveling". What exactly is that and how do you do it?

Remember guy's, this gentleman is talking about 6 acres of 24 total. I don't have any idea how much of that he needs leveled but that's ALOT of product to topdress 6 acres and you're still going to have to seed.

The lawn by his own description is not in good shape, renovation is a good idea. Roll 6 acres? Then aerate 6 acres to aleviate the compaction you just caused with the roller. Then seed. Now we have three steps and rental of two machines instead of 2 steps and one machine rental.

As far as cost, I'm feeling the Harley rake and subsequent seeding is the way to go.

8. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

actually, he said the lawn is in good shape "though the lawn looks very nice" so I don't see a need to reseed. If you have 24 acres of property around a house, you need some equipment to maintain it. Doubtful that it would be a one time fix forever and ever, regardless of the method chosen, so important to learn what options are available for it's continued management, wouldn't you agree?

9. Green Pastures

I would agree that he needs some decent equipment to handle maintaining 24 acres.

However, after reading his post again, I think his problem is not the look of the lawn, it's being shook to death every time he has to mow. The lawn sounds like it is incredibly uneven. While there are many ways to correct this, in my opinion and experience the Harley rake is the best way to correct the problem.

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Without a doubt, a harley rake will level and smooth the lawn but, using a harley will also require reseeding. Arevation just pulls plugs and wont help level. Depending on the site I suggest the use of an areovator to fix the site. The Areo-Vator by First products does wonders smoothing out the bump as it will vibrate the soil, relieving compaction and level at the same time. I have done this many a times to help smooth out a few ruff spots. For the real high spots you just go slower over the bump and the Areovator will smooth it out. You can broadcast seed, fertilizer and lime before areovation and thicken the lawn up in the same step. Of course I havent seen his site but if you dont want to rennovate, the areovator is a pretty good option.