How would you spend your $330

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Nichols Quality Yard Care, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Nichols Quality Yard Care

Nichols Quality Yard Care LawnSite Member

Ok, heres whats up. Im just starting out and looking to aquire about 10-15 basic mowing accounts (mowing, weedeating, edging, hedge trimming). I have a pretty good husquvarna weedeater, a decent blower, hedge clippers, and backup weedeater. However i have just an old 21" craftsman pushmower with no bagger and no self propel. So im looking to spend about $330 at sears (i have a card) on a mower. What should I get? they have Craftsman, Husquvarna, and Snapper. Hopefully if everything goes well this will become my backup mower for next year and I will get a really nice bigger walk behind

2. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Gamble the $330 in lottery tickets, on line poker or do a Bingo night at the church.

3. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Whatever you get just plan on saving up and replacing it asap. Those homeowner mowers only get you so far.

4. Nichols Quality Yard Care

Nichols Quality Yard Care LawnSite Member

I do plan on replacing it with something way better in the spring if everything goes as planned. Right now im just getting about 10-15 basic mowing accounts. I have a full time job as a pressman making pretty good money but who couldn't use a lil more. Right now Im just doing this solo so i can earn money so i can buy better gear so i can earn more money. im just needing a mower to get me started. im thinking either the Husqvarna or Snapper. hopefully it will survive to become a backup later.

5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Are you going to be able to use your sears card to but a Business License and Insurance? What about gas for the mower and your truck?

I never want to discourage anyone from getting into the business, but save up at least a little and do it right!

And stay away from credit cards, that $330 mower will end up costing you twice that.

6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I would spend my first $330 on advertising. Why buy equipment if you have no customers?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's kind of like folks asking where they might buy a car for $10...

Now you may not want to hear this but you need about 5 or 10 grand, when folks say this is one of
    the cheapest businesses to get into all that means is it doesn't cost 50 or 100 grand, but free it isn't
    and there's no real shortcuts to it, even a grand or two won't do and I highly discourage against taking
    things out on credit...

Because they are right, you still need a license and insurance and a truck and a trailer
    and tools and supplies and certain liquids (like oil) and a bunch of handheld stuff, too.
    $330 gets you a nice string trimmer around my part of town.

If money is a problem, you can not and will not survive in this business.
    So the first lesson to be learned is how to manage (read: save) your money,
    once you have acquired that tool you'll be somewhat ready, my take on that.

I don't know if that's such a good idea, we've had one or two over the years come around, they went out and acquired a slew of customers and gave estimates, then found themselves unable to get the work done because they still didn't have neither money nor equipment.

No offense to you, it might work for some folks but it's still a gamble.

8. YardKeeper08

YardKeeper08 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

If you’ve got $330 to spend I’d hold off on the sears trip and pick something up off of craigslist or a garage sale real cheap. What I mean is why spend that money when you could spend $50 and get something that would do the same job. What you’re looking for is a basic mower that you’ll end up tossing later so why spend more than you need to.

9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Take $4,buy a bus ticket to the nearest Military recruiting station.

10. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

My 32" Toro T-Bar was from craigslist. Got it for $300 last year and she's still running great!