How wrong am I

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LawnBoy89, Oct 30, 2007.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I have to build a patio on the side of my house to park my truck and trailer. Actually I don't have to I'm just going to so I can see if I do it right, plus I need more parking. It will butt against the foundation of the house on one side was well as the driveway which is in an even line with the foundation.

This is what I was planning on doing. I'm going to excavate about 8 inches deep and almost a foot extra on the border of the patio?

I'm not sure what kind of pavers I'm going to use yet I have alot of 8 x 8 inch just plain red brick pavers behind my shed that would probably be more then enough but I might just buy a nicer looking one. This area is going to be about 35 feet long by about 10 feet wide.

After I excavate I will make sure it is somewhat level and put about 4 inches of processed or crushed stone. I'll rent a compacter and go over it a couple times? Do I need to do it every 2 inches for this or is one time enough. I heard somewhere that you can't compant crused stone that much it's settles in a way that it can't settle anymore.

I will level this area and then put sand? down for about 2 inches on top of that. I will compact the sand, check for level, maybe have a slight slope going away from the house I'm guessing 1/4'' per foot? After the sand is compacted, and leveled with slight slope I assume that is all the prep needed?

Then begin laying pavers? Do I need to pat them down with mallet? What does this do? I figured if everything was compacted I could just lay them? After they are all laid (if that ever happens) I will then sweep some sand over the entire patio to fill in between the pavers. This is how I would do it, obviously I have no idea what I'm doing because I have never done it. My dad build a brick patio from the driveway to the stairs to my house it actually held up pretty good since the house was built some 15 years ago had to play with a 2 bricks last year though they sank a bit.

Well if any of you guys read everything, I need some criticism...I know something is wrong.

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Every paver manufacture as detailed instructions in the back of each catolog, yet people seem to think its better to engineer there own version on interlocking concrete pavers.

4. LawnBoy89

Was I supposed to know that? I never did this before...but that does help I guess it will tell me basically everything I need to know

5. LawnBoy89

This link also helped alot to inform me of the basics of doing a paver job..one question, the electrical conduit pipe I wasn't sure was it was used for. I am assuming it is used to not only create the depth of the sand but also to slide the 2 x 4 on top of it when making it level?

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

How wrong am I

Very!

Chris

7. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I think a lot more pics would be posted,but guys are afraid of how brutally honest the judges will be. lol *trucewhiteflag*

8. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

I don't know about conduit and its outside diameter, but if you go to the plumbing department and get a 1" piece of galvanized pipe, you will have what you need.

9. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

CgLand: Hey Chris, at least the guy is getting his feet wet on his own house and not a customers... Remember, you were a young lad once before...

Lawnboy89: glad to see you learing something new. Just don't think that once you do this that you will have all the tools/skills necessary to do this for a living. There is a long learing curve that needs to be recongnized and "CgLand" will be glad to point out when you vere from the correct path as well as I and many others will...

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

CG is getting kind of snotty lately.