How Yoru Company Pays for Rain Days??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by aquamtic, Jan 15, 2006.

1. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Would like to get some feedback on how others handle employees pay
    for rain days.

I have heard some of the following:
    Full Paid
    Paid but made up
    Not Paid and made up

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

What i've observed around here, is if the ground isn't too saturated, and it's not POURING you send your guys out anyway.

If it's pouring I would emagine you send em out on saturday, and Sunday if you have commercials to do.

3. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

If it's raining too hard and isn't going to let up or stop. they get paid for 2 hours if they showup at the shop. On hot summer days if it starts raining we just mow in the rain.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

If we don't work that day, they don't get paid. I'm not paying someone to miss a day if we don't work. I make it clear that if there's a rainout and we aren't working, they go home or don't show up. If they want to make up the time later I'm flexible. I also try to head them off on rainy days and keep them from coming in, or if it's an iffy day that's going to be on and off I don't work them. I don't get paid for not working when it rains, I'm not paying them.

5. DTE

DTE LawnSite Member

I understand that it is hard to pay employees if you don't get paid yourself, but how do you keep quality work if you can't ensure them a full week??

6. we might work 15 hours the next day or whatever we have to , to make it up.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

pay them well per hour like I do is how, laborers get 17.50 and foreman get 22.50 an hour

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

They do get a full weeks worth of work, just not all in one chunk.
    We try for a 4 day week at 10 hours a day. If we get stopped for any reason they go home and than we start up the next day where we left off. Our weeks worth of work still needs to get done.
    I tell them when they start that we try for 4 days but that if it gets cut one day we go on Fri. They know to expect it.
    We also cut in the rain till the ground becomes to soft. (we have red clay).
    Last summer we only had to stop work and go home 2X's.
    We also watch the weather and plan ahead and if we know something is coming we will push more before it gets here.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what I used to do for employees was provide them with a guarantee pay from March-the end of November. Basically, they were guaranteed 32hrs paid. Even if they only worked 20hrs, they were still paid 32hrs.

I did this to hang onto the employees, and also in circumstances like you stated with the rain

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic