How you all do it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimmy4321, May 23, 2007.

1. jimmy4321

jimmy4321 LawnSite Member
    from BC

I have a fair bit experience in pest & weed control but the last ten years I've owned a carpet cleaning company that's done well.I miss working outdoors and was thinking of getting into lawn care.
    During work I called in and priced an Exmark 48" ,I was shocked when the guy said about 14k !! I know this is Canada but our $ is at .91cents to the US.
    How you all get by,with the gear required,expenses,etc.

2. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

You don't need to start with a 14k mower unless you already have a bunch of accounts lined up or you have a wad of cash in the bank. You can start with about $5k and then upgrade later. I used some retirement I had saved up and I am buying things as I go.

3. Boonman

Boonman LawnSite Member
    from NY

Buy used. And that price sounds high for a 48" mower. My 60" diesel was $13K American.

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I started with a 48" Scag Wb and now have a 52" Wright Stander....I bought the scag new but the stander used....I would recommed starting off with a used mow at first..

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

even at the exchange rate, that is still double what it's worth

6. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

start small, pay cash for ebrything (except maybe your truck) for the first few years.... or you could luck out like me and be working for a tree company, almost lose your hand and get killed, then get a nice check from the companies insurance co (for disfigurement-a 7" scar on my hand and a horseshoe shaped one on my head from where the falling limb went thru my hand and into my skull) and pay cash for some new equipment .... i'd try it the first way, less risky.

hey, it only cost me a little range of movement in my left hand and a coupla IQ pts-well worth it.

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

14 grand for a 48" walk behind? That's the model with the solid gold casters, right? I wouldn't pay more than 4 or 5k for a hydro walk behind. 14 is obscene.

8. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

9. jimmy4321

jimmy4321 LawnSite Member
    from BC

I made a mistake,I forgot to mention it was an Exmark 48" "ZTR"

I agree with the above post,starting out is not the time to blow big cash on gear to collect dust.I was just checking out what I was in for in the future.
    Still a lot of money!

When I started cleaning,I started with portable gear.Maybe stuck with that for to long cause when I jumped into a new truckmounted machine it opened alot of doors to big commercial work,more money,less back breaking.

I guess knowing when to jump into big equipment is key in any biz.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I cut corners everywhere I can to cut costs, I was sure hoping it's not as easy as it looks, is it?

Best advice I can give is start by cutting costs now, and put the money you save aside for some time. Once you have a nest egg going, you can then use that money for starting up. Do NOT use current savings, the money I speak of has to come out on top of whatever you got going now, and this is a good way to get started.

Heck idk, maybe convert all the light bulbs in your home from filament to gas (incandescent to fluorescent), and start by giving your thermostat settings a break as well... Around here, my thermostat stays at 81 in the summer, 64 in the winter, and off from Mar-May and Sep-Nov, the hot water heater is at 128, the shower sports a navy water saver faucet, what can I say, I've just scratched the surface when I say thrift rules ...