1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How you are hauling away the leaves?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by FF1809, Oct 7, 2008.

1. FF1809

FF1809 LawnSite Member

I was wondering how most of you actualy haul away the leaves after doing a clean-up. Im not looking for the using a truck loader method as I dont have the funds for one right now. I was thinking about building a "box" for my trailer, any other thoughts? Thanks yall. Robbie
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i take the bags and dump then in the bed of my dump truck, very simple and straight forward. no if there are alot of leaves i dump them on the curb until dark and come back with my other dump with the loader and suck them up. ya i know 2 trucks for 1 jub but i actually fill both trucks everyday.
  3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Truck Bed........
  4. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

Cover the discharge on the mower and grind them up for the most part.
  5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to dampen your spirits, but a box on your trailer is very labor intensive. If you have a bagger that chops the leaves up, that helps w/ space, but the leaves will be very hard to remove from the trailer, especially if they get rained on. Trust me, I know. I started out with a dump bed on the truck and a leafloader, filled up way too fast. The next leaf box was on a 14ft trailer, it held a lot of leaves but took forever to unload. I now use a grain truck w/ mesh top and a 27hp vac. It still requires me to unload the bottom layer sometimes, but it is the most efficient method I can employ.
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 4'x4'x7' box on the front of my trailer with a Load-Handler built in. Clean and easy. I've been adding my clippings for about 5 weeks now without having to unload yet. Today's leaves filled it up a bit, though...
  7. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Truck Bed!
  8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Who the heck wants to haul leaves around..... in THIS day and age? :confused:

Mulch! Mulch! Mulch!

Ultimately, it feeds the turf, and saves you a boat load of time & labor!

Your customer doesn't "like" or "want" their leaves shredded by gator blades on-site......or to have their grass discharged onto the turf?
    Well, you'd better tell them to start getting used to it!

Write these words down:
    The day is coming in this country....in the not-too-distant future, when lawn waste disposal like this will simply NOT happen... 'cheaply'... anymore, to anyone, residential OR contractor!
  9. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

You can only mulch so many leaves into the lawn before it starts looking unclean. I run mainly mulching mowers for cutting and they're great for this time of year shredding the first falling leaves. If you have several inches or more of leaves on the ground, mulching them up would just smoother the lawn. We actually mulch the leaves first and then suck them up with the bagging mower. This system works great for us. Haul the leaves (and grass) back to my property where I compost them.
  10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

If you absolutely have to hand- unload the leaf box, use the layer method that roofers use for shingles. Lay a heavy tarp in the bottom of the box, fill a foot or so deep with leaves, lay down another tarp on top of that first layer, then create another layer.
    When you unload, simply pull the top tarp off first bringing that layer of leaves out, then work your way to the bottom.
    Much more intensive than just dumping a load with a dump truck or trailer, but much easier than trying to pull one tarp with 5' of compacted leaves, or worse yet shovel them out.