1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How you got your 1st customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WERRM, Apr 28, 2007.

1. WERRM

WERRM LawnSite Member

Hey everyone. My first post here. I am planning to start lawn care part time. I am only in the planning stage right now, looking at equipment, etc. I thought it would be interesting and helpful to hear how some of you got your very first few customers.
  2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Advertising. Flyers and then by word of mouth.
  3. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbors liked my lawn and wanted me to do theirs.
  4. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

Get you some business cards. then get your door hangers made. Place an add in the paper. Your getting a late start but you should still get some lawns. Come early october advertise in the paper for leaf clean up. Most people wait until halloween to advertise that. Beat them to it. Then the leaf clean ups you do you can up sell for lawn mowing the following year. Do a good job on the leafs and they will remember you.
  5. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Word of mouth is your best way to advertise when starting out. After your first account, offer them a $25 credit for every yearly refferal they give you! Just my .02 cents!
  6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Kind of late to just be thinking, get some equip or wait til next season. Best way is to pass out flyers and whatever jobs you get DO GOOD WORK and the you'll get more work from word of mouth (thats the best form of advertising).
  7. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I inherited a fair chunk from the guys I have worked with the past couple of years
    one retired and another one went back to being solo and had too many to handle
    These plus word of mouth and some flyers around Ive almost got a full boat
    picked up one last week because the guy just wouldn't show up

Quality work gets quality results
  8. WERRM

WERRM LawnSite Member

Great info. Thanks. I know it's late in the year, but I would be happy just to land a few accounts to have something going and then really be ready for next year, and that fall clean up work. Thanks again.
  9. tlipari

tlipari LawnSite Member

Of the thousands of flyers I passed out, not one customer I have today came from them. All of my customers have been word of mouth. I was fortunate enough to take over about 20 accounts a family member was getting rid of (retired), within the last 3 years my customer numbers have tripled. Main thing that keeps my business going is quality,quality,quality!!! I won't do the 3 minute lawn with a commerical mower, I've found residential works best for me. You'll have to figure that part out yourself. If you have the time....research,research,research!!! Websites like this are a goldmine of info!! Good luck to you!
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dont do this......

after you get one or two, people will come out of the woodwork.....

People are watching you. your work is the best advertisement.
    dont take on any jobs too large or too small. your Equiptment will determain this.
    Everywhere you go ASK... everyone has grass. or knows someone that does.
    Just ask and you will recive