How you handle bounced Checks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by parkmaster, Aug 15, 2002.

1. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

i've been reading different threads but haven't seen one on this
    subject. i just want to know how lco's handle this problem and have any suggestions to deal with bounced checks :angry:

2. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

do what i do TAR AND FEATHER THEM

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Included in the $15 monthly service fee of my commercial checking account was Telecheck. Every check deposited was covered. If they bounced not a penny came out of my account, the telecheck people would take the hit.

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

call your state attorney if they dont make good on it plus any fees you have from bank I had an ex customer say it wasnt there problem and atty was more than happy to prosecute them

5. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

In our county in Illinois you send them a letter and if you don't recieve payment within 2weeks you can take it to the local State's attorneys office, who will send the deadbeat a letter requiring payment and which requires them to take a 10 hour course in (not sure what). Failure to respond results in a bench warrant, which sits in the police computer until their picked up for some other violation. Then they are charged with theft by deceptive practices. I've used it once in 6 yrs.

6. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

If we receive a bounced check from someone, there is an automatic $25.00 charge which is stated on our invoices. We call the client up and let them know about the bounced check and give them the total with the new fee included. We have them pay there new balance in cash. After that they can continue pay by check unless they bounce a check again. We never let them bounce a check more than twice.;)

7. B. Phagan

B. Phagan LawnSite Member

In most states, giving someone an NSF check for over $100 is a felony. The state's attorney and/or the sheriff can get involved and depending on the state, arrest them and/or only arrest them assuming they are caught on some other charge such as speeding or some other offense.

Call your state's attorney and sheriff's office for more info.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We have a "bad check" office. I've never had to use it, but if I do its not a problem. I maintain it.;)

9. add $15 fee
    like MLC said second time no more checks

10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

People make mistakes. Good to have a policy of some sort from the start that all clients are aware of. I always call first, let them know, try not to embarass them and have them pay our fee if there is one. We have a great relationship with our bank so they usually take care of us really well in theses instances.