How you look is how you cook - Geekism #1

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by The Lighting Geek, Jul 18, 2008.

1. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I know most of us are feeling the slow down and making adjustments. One point I believe in, is summed up in a phrase I used to use while training cooks many years ago. 'How you look is how you cook'. Something to remember is that potential clients are making judgements about you, your employees, and most importantly, your business based upon how you look.

If you were sitting in a restaurant and watched the cook walk by, if he/she were unkept, oily hair, and wearing wrinkled clothes, you might get up and leave. If they were neatly dressed, clean and tidy, you would expect good things to come out of the kitchen. Our businesses are no different. Skills and experience may not be the first thing you client thinks about if you or your employees are not projecting the right image.

As an example, I make it a point to keep my truck and trailer very clean. I will wash them a couple times a week if necessary. I always wear a uniform no matter what I am doing while representing my company. I insist that anyone who works for me shave daily, hair neat, and neat uniforms at all times. The message is 'We will treat your home and project as well as we treat our selves.' Take a minute and think about how you would see your company from the outside in. Some are doing this and they will tell you it matters. To the people I wish to work for, it definitely matters.

2. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Good info Tommy!
    My first jobs as a teenager were in the restaurant business. Anyone remember Sambos? :) It bothers me today when I see servers run their hand thru hair or across their runny noses and then go pick up plates of food to deliver. Ya I still watch what goes on .........hard habit to break.
    I also like to keep my truck clean, tools in order (not scattered all over the property), and wear something with company logo.

How's this title for an upcoming installment of Geekism? " If your gonna walk the walk you'd better talk the talk!

3. The Lighting Geek

I used to wait tables, cook and manage a Sambo's back in the day. Complete with the panels above the counter that told the story of little Sambo and the tiger.

4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Thats the one! Ahh those were the days.......workin 3-11 shifts after a day at school. Makin money to put gas in my 66 Mustang fastback.......
    Thanks for the memories Tommy! Still got one of those cook hats or neckershiefs? I might! :laugh:

Keith

5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Right on point as usual Tommy.

6. The Lighting Geek

no but I still have my cook's knife we were each given when you started. White plastic handle.

I had a 12 second Pinto Wagon, lowered, ground effects, that was a hoot! I beat a few v8s with it...ahhhh...those were the days

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Ahhh Yes. The pintos. I remember those days. Just don't get rearended in one of those babies or Kablamee.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I agree how you look is extremely important in this business. I try to always look and smell great for bids, but then the install is a different story. within 15 minutes on a jobsite, the sweat and dirt starts. It seems a shame to mud up and trash uniforms. and looking at the geek's uniforms, I can't imagine wearing black in may-september. jean shorts or khaki shorts are the only way I can handle 85 degrees plus.

Christmas lights is a little cleaner work, so the shirts we use are all logo'd, red. all the guys wear khaki or jean shorts til it is cooler, then switch to jeans. and logo'd jackets.

9. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

10. The Lighting Geek

I must clarify what our uniforms are. We wear shorts and short sleeve shirts during the day. The tactical equivalent to kakis. The shirts resemble the ones from Columbia with the vent across the back. Shorts and shirts are made of cotton and are cool, in more ways than one :p The Geek Gear goes on when we are out at night adjusting or during a demo. The picture you see of us was taken in the winter, long pants and long sleeves.