How young to start them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Apr 30, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking of training my little brother who will be turning 13 this summer. Not alot, just some accounts around the nieghborhood to get him familar. I started my other brother out at 14, he's 20 now and an excellent worker. What is the youngest worker you're allowed to hire? what is the youngest you would hire?

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure your dept of labor would be better able to answer this question as it varies state to state.

3. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

I started my little borther at 12 using my 36" machine. He is 15 and works with my crew regularly. I started lawncare at 14. it takes all 135 pounds of him to lift the mower you should see it what a riot.

4. fga

I started at 14 also, but i think I looked older, and I was bigger then him at his age now.
    Grassfear, does anyone ask you about your brother, or comment he's too young?I know my brother can do it, just don't want to get the slave labor llok from customers, especially potential customers.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

say hes my brother, and they will think your a good guy for letting him help and make some money. I wouldnt worry about the dept of labor on this one.

6. fga

I am a good guy:angel: :angel:

7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am giving my brother a chance at 17 ... lol

He's going to school for something else, but in the mean time i'm going to use him!

8. fga

use, or abuse?

9. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

abuse and use .....

10. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I made my brothers partners. They both started when they where 13 years old. It really hurt me when one of my middle brother turned 18 and joned the USMC - he is headed to Iraq in june. My baby brother is just turned 15 today - he is learning quite alot. It hard to find hard honest workers. My brother doesnt call in, knows what I expect, doesnt drink or do drugs, and learns well. The only problem I have is right now he is in school and can only work friday afternoons and saturdays. So I do all of it by my self. I have a uncle who works for me when I need it, and im thiking about hiring another uncle, I need extra help during leaf cleanups. I hope to give the business to my younger brother when he gets older so he can pay his way thru college with it, like Im trying too.