1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cessnasovereign, Apr 7, 2006.

1. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

So, I've been talking to a few people I currently work with to see who does their yards.. This one woman and her sister both have about 2 acres, and are getting it done for $35!!! Is it just me, or is that crazy cheap? I plan on doin 1/3 and 1/4 acres for that! How long would that take one person on a Z turn? Saying it is mostly flat and not too many trees?

Also, what % of your residential customers, signed a one year contract?
  2. cessnasovereign

Also, my current boss paid his landscaper $800 for a cleanup last year, there is a bunch of tall brush (5 ft tall), that's probably 400 feet by 20 feet patch, the guy cut is down but didn't keep it trimmed like he asked so I'm thinking about trying to cut it back down. Any suggestions? I don't know if I'm equipped for this or not. Do you need some type of special brush cutter?
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah well I know this one guy quoted like 60 dollars for this 600-dollar tree to cut it down, but what the lady didn't know is since she had to leave, she went ahead and paid him, left, and never saw him again.

The tree is still standing.

Moral of the story: Wear tall hipboots.
  4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

100% of ALL my clients sign contracts, res or comm.
  5. cessnasovereign

Cool. So you have definete income during the winter.. What all do you do in the winter? Provided there is no snow, just not much growth?
  6. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

All our customers sign contracts, they are jsut informational tho , roughly 50-100 pay up fromt for the season based on 26 weeks of cutting, they have to pay in full by june 1st .