how...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Leone LawnCare, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

how could i use a 15 hp 48 inch scag wb to pick up leaves for spring clean up. i have a bag but the leaves seem to be way to wet to pick up. i was planning on just raking my accounts with a couple guys. any ideas

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

you need to get yourself a leaf blower. you are not going to be productive at all by just using a bagger on a 48 inch walkbehind. you could put a trac vac system on your machine and you would gain an extra impellar and more suction from the extra pony motor.

www.trac-vac.com

3. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

well i have a blower but man the leaves are half decompsed and just a bare to get up i cant imagine my mower picking them up a blower would work but i would really have to hog down with the nozzle i think raking would be faster

4. mdb landscaping

oh ok. i see what you mean. what i usually do is take my back pack blower, and blow out all the shurubbery.... then i take my 9 hp little wonder walk behind blower..... and have somebody walk in front of it with the back pack getting the leaves to unembed from the grass. this is needed for sticks too... after im done and have almost all the debris picked up... ill go through and mow with a jrco dethather which is mounted on a scag walkbehind with a grass gobbler. the tine rakes loosen up any remaining leaves leaving the lawn looking very clean.

http://www.jrcoinc.com/dethatcher.html

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

To offer that service, you need a little wonder blower.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Matt, I'm curious why you go over the lawn with the JRCO unit AFTER cleaning up the lawn? Wouldn't you then have to go back over it to pick up what the JRCO brought up?

Wouldn't it be better to use the JRCO first to loosen it all up, then just use the WB blower to move it?

Just wondering. Thanks.

7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

You could also look at JRCO's website for the Leaf Blade Plow or buy a dethatcher and attach it to the front of the WB.
    What I have been told is you could do dethatching while running the deck to suck all the grass up that you dethatch or drive over the lawn just using the dethatcher and not the deck and then after dethatching suck up all the extra grass and leaves up, using a high setting I am guessing so you don't cut the grass totaly.
    Matt

8. mdb landscaping

go getter. i usually run the jrco after i get all i can up so i dont have any twigs or heavy amounts of leaves in my way. then i run over the lawn with the jrco with a grass gobbler catcher. i only have to go over the lawn once cause im picking up the clippings as i go over it.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Exactly What Mbd said But i do It With Lazers With Baggers works Great, Nothing Blows Like a Little wonder!!!

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

John, do you also use a JRCO rake like MBD does?