Howdy, anybody ever use a 5 or 6hp stump grinder (praxis mfg0 ?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnguyland, Mar 15, 2008.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there- every once in a while I need a stump grinder for smaller size stumps- I love the 9 or 13hp stump machines from praxis- they rent them at home depot. I want to buy one and only need it for stumps maybe 16" dia max. Anything bigger is for large machines. The small ones are good for manuevring, back yards, tight spots, etc.

So the ? is anyone use one? Is it powerful enough? That's my only concern. The 6hp honda looks good to me, but I'm not sure.

I want to buy at this point- not rent, but I don'd want to spend $3500 if I can get away with around $2200 and the smaller unit would be easier to transport and store.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I would get something with a larger engine and a larger grinder wheel. Those ones at HomeDepot may grind them down, but they dont grind them down far enough to grow grass properly over the stumps.

We rented one that had a 8 or 9 HP Honda and it worked ok (Smaller wheel), but had I to do it over again I would take up the tree service guys price of $25 per stump. It was alot of work, the machine was very heavy and was hard to pull up hills as it was now self propelled.

The power of the grinder plays an important part, but I am thinking the grinding teeth and the rotataing mass of the heavy wheel are more important.

3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks bro

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Check United Equipment rental site for items for sale.