How're my edges? I think they could be better but how?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Apr 9, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Got my new Echo split boom edger attachment the other day and just now got to play with it at my house. Is it just me or do these edges look pretty bad? Or am I just expecting too much from a blacktop driveway (rough at the edge of it)?

apr09242.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

This one looks OK. The edges also look too narrow to me?

Ok I give up what am I suppose to do to make these things better? I have to use it a bit tomorrow so help me!!!

apr09245.jpg

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

ROTFLMAO. Thanks!

Ok, seriously now. Blacktop just doesn't have clean edges. Secondly, it might look better if you had some grass at the edges. Not much need to edge with no grass there.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

ah, ok thanks! I was told by a friend/LCO that blacktop just doesn't edge but I was able to do OK with curved shaft trimmer last year.. never could get the hang of it with my Stihl straight shaft.....so I guess on blacktop you just take your string trimmer at a 45 degree angle and trim back the grass when it grows along the edge?

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

There was some grass here:

apr09247.jpg

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

apr09251.jpg

7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think they are too narrow. I see some guys with a 2" gap between grass and curb. That looks bad to me.

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

yea 2" is too much but I can hardly see mine LOL. I suppose it would be better if it had thick grass at the edge and was along a sidewalk....

9. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I always use a trimmer to edge blacktop. It just doesn't have a decent enough edge to get a clean look when using a stick edger.I always use a stick edger to edge concrete. Like 65HOSS said it would look alot better if the grass was thicker on the edges of the lawn. The second to last pic looked pretty good though.

10. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have had better results on blacktop edging by actually letting the grass grow over the edge of the blacktop and then cutting a straight edge with a string trimmer about 1" in from the edge of the blacktop. Hard to explain.....does anyone else do the same? If so maybe you can explain it better...