1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How's Business Thusfar?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jun 28, 2009.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We're seeing light at the end of the tunnel. So far - so good for us!

We kept quite busy this winter with a nice, small retaining wall job, some clearing work, and late winter / early spring we hooked a nice patio gig. After that, for a few weeks sales trickled, and I mean trickled, and I was very nervous.

But now, we have more worked lined up than we've had for the last 2 years at this time of year! If it wasn't for the federal gov't being such a huge employer in this area, we'd probably be history. A large percentage of the areas we serve consist of residents that are employed in the DC Metro area through the fed gov't. And these people are making up the majority of our clients.

Because our spring got off to such a lousy start, we booked a vacation in July, as I was thinking our workload would be slow. Now I wish we would have booked it for August.

Frankly, I'm burned out. I've dedicated nearly every waking minute to sales, in some form or another, whether it's meeting with prospectives, working on estimates and designs, etc.

How bout you folks?
  2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

DVS you owe me a thankyou. A thankyou for paying federal income tax. If obama wasn't expanding the federal goverment so much with my tax dollars your wouldn't be so busy.

I heard the paver czar will be introduced next week.

Business is bad here in North Jersey. Contractors are going out of business left and right. No one wants to spend 200k on landscaping and then pay more in property tax when their homes dropped 400k in value.

I do not see things improve until Obama is out of office. If this Cap and Tax passes the senate things will get real bad.
  3. DVS Hardscaper

LOL MRusk, Obama has nothing to do with the fact that the Fed Gov't is the largest employer in this area! It's been this way long before Obama was born!

It's not that folks dont want to spend $200k (holy cow your numbers change every month!), it's that the banks stopped lending.....
  4. mrusk

My clients don't finance projects.
  5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have noticed the same just like judge Judy says it when you tell the true you don't have to have a real good memory.
  6. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Much the same here DVS, after a sloooow early spring things have picked up a lot. I have more work lined up than this time last year, and am still taking calls for new work.
    I have noticed a difference, though, mostly smaller jobs and people seem to be more cautious of commiting to a contract.
    Overall, I can't complain.
  7. DVS Hardscaper

You probably do not know where they pulled money from to pay you, as most folks don't discuss their finances with a lowly contractor.

The banks stopped lending. Many hardscape contractors are now pushing fertilizer spreaders. Cause and effect. If consumers were not dependant on loans - the residential contracting business would be flourishing. Naturally, there are a few home owners with a nest egg of cash. But even at that - most folks that had nest eggs...no longer do.

The folks that are in a position to buy are taking advantage of the opportunities, and this has helped us tremendously. I did an estimate yesterday for excavation related work. I said to the man "I see you just had a nice size Oak taken down" as I was looking at that stump with a dia. of 3.5'. He replied "I sure did, I had 4 trees taken down for what I was quoted a year ago to get one taken down".

But hey! Small jobs are the backbone to re-strengthening our economy. That, along with adapting.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  8. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience, the bigger the houses, cars, boats, etc. = the more money owed on loans.

As far as work is concerned, we've been fortunate to stay busy with a combination of both high dollar jobs as well as some of the smaller, lower dollar jobs. It's amazing that, sometimes, more money can be made churning out 8 or 10 $5k jobs in a week than a $50k or $60k a week...
  9. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Work here has been surprisingly busier than usual. We have increased our profit margin slightly, and yet we are still getting work. We have hired an additional crew just to keep up. Im not sure whats going on, but im ok with it.
  10. mrusk

I know for a fact that none of my clients have pulled from the equity in their home for a project. Mortgage information is all public information all available on the web. I know if a client has a mortgage and for how much before I even meet with them for the first time.