hows business

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcatboy, Feb 23, 2007.

1. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

just checking with everybody to see how busy everybody has been, and to post pictures of what your doing
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

We have been fairly busy for this time of year (it is snowing so hard as I write this you can't see 75 feet from the house). Bidding has started for this year. Still working in Big Sky at least the temps there have been reasonable for the past month or so. I am hoping that the economy holds together. So far it looks good. I took some pictures of the Big Sky job. I just need to figure out how to post them.
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It is starting to pick up for me I'am glad I'am getting back into the junk removal business made 300 bucks in 2 days. It looks like I will be getting more realestate clean up jobs. Now I need to get the hoist on my flatdeck to get some easier soil delivery jobs. It looks like the people with the over million dollar budget are wandering around and buying 1 million dollar plus property again :drinkup:
  4. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Ksss ! If i can post pictures it should be a snip for you.Use the Go Advanced and scroll down to bottom of it and there is where you can download and post your pictures from there.Good luck!
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

GR making 150 bucks a day wont get ya to far! Gotta charge more. I do not care what you say about your area. If people buy million dollar property, they MUST PAY million dollor neighborhood RATES!
  6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Phone is beginning to ring 2-3 times a day now.....mostly lookie-loo's and early price shoppers. Got 2 nice bids out there and hoping one will pop. We have 6" of new snow today and more snow through next week. It's blowing horizontal, so most dirt guys are shut down for another two-three weeks at best. My business traditionally starts in about 30-45 days from now. Will see...all indications are this is going to be another hot year. I have had two suppliers call me today and said they have already run out of business cards that I left and would like me to restock........that is the first time I have had that ever happen.
  7. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

Its been soso here. The last few months have been the worst to date. Mid november to about a week ago I had VERY few jobs to speak of. Since we dont really have a winter this is rare. Even talking to some of my contractors I deal with who have been in buisness for 25+ years are saying it is the worst they have seen. On that note, I have been getting more and more calls, and the calls I have been getting are solid leads/jobs. I have been putting bids in on everything from small demo jobs(garages, detached storage buildings, etc) to right of way clearing for a new toll road going in on the west side of town, 79 acres. I just did my advertising for NEXT year also in the phone book. Putting in a credit card sized ad in one heading and 1" ads in another 3. Hope they pay for themselves!
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

mrusk I'am only working 6 hours at the most for each job and charging 20 dollars per hour for labour which is higher on the labour rate scale. Then today I hauled a load of old oil tanks to a site took me 10 mins charged for a hour plus a some labour.

The two people I worked for this week are retired so I'am not charging them a higher rate you need to give the retired crowed a litle bit of a discount. They usually are the ones that spread your name around through their friends and you end up with other jobs. I have two rates one for the newcomers to the area the ones with the money and the long term residents that have been here for generations. You don't screw the long term residents your reputation in the area can go sour faster than a jug of milk.

Soon as I get a dump on the truck I will beable to get more jobs done in a day.
  9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

KSSS, send me the pics and I'll post them for you.

As far as business goes, I guess my old man has been getting a few calls for landscaping so far. He's getting a little leary with the competition situation in my home town, the loss of the orchard industry has left plenty of amigos without jobs and they're out cutting grass and landscaping for $10-20 an hour. Excavation they can't get into, that what my main push for getting into excavation. That and I singlehandedly managed $100K of gross revenue in 4.5 months by myself. Makes cutting grass look like a joke. Needless to say, I will be returning to lawn maintenance at my college location shortly. I think my dad is going to keep landscaping for a couple years and if the market starts to slide he's going to bail out. No point in beating a dead horse. He owns a motel that does $550K in revenue each year, just built a new vacation house, life should be on the downward speed of things. Needless to say I picked up my workaholic-ism from him and he just can't sit still, that's about the only reason he's still in business. When he finally gets to the point where landscaping doesn't make sense, he's going to pull the plug.