how's everyone holding up?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Jul 28, 2013.

1. We are halfway in...i can count 5 really bad days so far...the rain has def been helping with the heat. I really look at it as 6 more weeks cause things start slowing down mid September and then they really start slowing down in October....so, how is everyone doing?

2. Dvasqz6

Dvasqz6 LawnSite Member

Not easy but I'm enduring, I'm in Clearwater, FL it rain every day for 3 weeks some time twice a day making the ground so saturated and hard to cut. No rain last week but very humid, I'm spending more time each day now with the over growth lawn. I cut 60 a week by myself, no weekends my partner don't help he's allergic to grass, but keeps an eye on things for me see Pic.

WP_20130611_005.jpg

WP_20130611_004.jpg

3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Is that a blue sky in the pics? Don't think I've seen one of those in weeks.

Hot, low 90's high humidity all last week. Rain starting early like 11:00 AM as opposed to 2 or 3 pm.

Head down & keep moving...:cool:

4. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Same here!! We did get a couple days last week with no rain at all!!!

5. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

End of July and upper 70's in St Louis. Bizarre. 58 degrees F this morn. :)

6. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Kind of tired, the cool weather and rain has caused it to stay green all summer so far. Then we had some major wind which caused tree damage so pretty busy.. Which is a good thing. So Tulsa has been blessed with good weather, after the 2 prevous years of hot and dry it is a nice problem.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Another summer in Florida. Tired and behind. I guess at least you never know exactly what you are going to get though. After what I would consider a near-perfect summer last year, this one has been a little rougher with the humidity. Definitely one of the most humid I can remember. And that's saying a lot for Florida. Breezes has been nonexistent 90% of the time. It's calm before the rain moves in, then dead calm after they move out. That's what's made the humidity atrocious.

Rain is becoming a little bit of an issue. I have a couple lawns that still have standing water in areas. Last time I remember lawns staying wet for weeks was 1987 or 88, and to a lesser extent one time in the mid-90's. But that said, when it clouds up early temps won't be in the mid-90's. You're going to look like a wet rag anyway, might as well be a few degrees cooler.

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

The rains finally stopped here and the heat and humidity moved in. I'm Zapped by noon. Overall it has been a good year here. I'm not sure how you guys put in 8-12 hours a day. Like someone stated above, It will all be over by the 1st of October.

9. Yea...we still cut weekly through October but temps are usually 5 degrees lower and the humidity moves out...plant growth really slows down in October and from then on it is smooth sailing.

10. BCL Services

BCL Services LawnSite Member

Man I am ready for this summer to be done. These rain storms in the middle of the day are killing us. Come on October