1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hows my figures?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by GrazerZ, Apr 6, 2004.

1. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I know that everyone here is sick of people like me asking these type of questions...but. Here is another one.
    I'm currently biding out one of my first from scratch installs. I have allready done a site drawing and the system will be designed for me. It is a light commercial 7 zone system. My cost break down as follows:

controller esp8 135.00
    miniclick 16.00
    valves rainbird dv 125.00
    55 van nozzles 70.00
    55 rainbird sprays 280.00
    22 rainbird 5000 rotors 205.00
    1200' 1" poly pipe 250.00
    5 valve boxes 100.00
    wire 150.00
    fittings 250.00
    TOTAL: $1581.00 plus 40% markup $2213.00
    Labor: 40 hr @ $40.00hr $1600.00
    Total to install: $3813.00

Other info:
    The runs will be trenched (don't have acess to puller)dosent matter anyway. lawn is going to be renovated.
    Will use blazing saddles and funny pipe for connections.
    Please let me know any glaring problems you see with this. Also please let me know if its ok, close or what.
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

A few things I see:
    My costs will be different than yours so don't go strictly by my numbers

ESP controller -try the new modular timer, with one extra module. My cost on that timer is about $75-80. And the extra module is $22. You can add on later up to 13 stations if need be. Also has A,B,C programs instead of A and B only. It also has a true 365 day calendar.

280 bucks for 55 sprays? Thats over $5 per head. If your paying $5 for an 1804 you need to talk with your supplier.

Price on poly pipe seems high - thats $62 per 300' roll. Are you using poly for mainline as well? Just make sure you get poly rated for higher pressure or constant pressure.

Things I don't see in your costs - manifold tees, mainline or manifold drains, clamps, swing ells, backflow preventer, copper pipe going into and out of backflow preventer, (permit cost?), wire connectors, swing pipe, any drip?,

Price seems a little low for commercial. Have you done irrigation? Not sure what your company consists of so I'm just asking.
  3. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

55 van nozzles?..............don't use those, use the right arc.

I would also use 1804's with the prs option. You may also want to to with the sam option as well.
  4. GrazerZ

The poly pipe price is high to cover any possible errors and to alot for some fittings. The RPZ will be provided by customer from plumber who has preped irrigation stuff before. We just hook onto an exterior point of connection.
    And finally, we have not done a system like this before. I have been to school for irrigation classes and have done a fair amount of maintenance and repairs. I enjoy what I have done so far, and am seeking to do more. I know we can do it, just need a little bit of coaching. Thanx.
    any other opinions out there....:?
  5. GrazerZ

Please explain differance between Sam and PRS option?
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

SAM is Seal-A-Matic - as descibed by Rainbird
    Built-in Seal-A-Matic™ (SAM) check valve. Eliminates the need for under-the-head check valves. No parts to be installed at the site.
    Traps water in lateral pipes in elevation changes of up to 14 feet (4,2 m). Reduces wear on system components by minimizing water hammer during start-up.
    Prevents drainage from spray heads at lower elevations. Stops water waste. Ends landscape damage due to flooding and/or erosion.
    Even stronger retract spring to accommodate elevation changes up to 14 feet (4,2 m). One of the strongest springs in the industry.

PRS as described by Rainbird
    Patented PRS pressure regulator built into the stem. No parts to be installed at the site. Saves time and money.
    Maintains constant outlet pressure at 30 psi (2,1 Bars). Spray heads and nozzles perform best at 30 psi. Ensures maximum spray head and nozzle performance, even with varying inlet pressures. Maintains constant pressure regardless of nozzle used.
    Restricts water loss by up to 70% if nozzle is removed or damaged. Saves water and money. Reduces possibility of accidents and property damage. Recommended for vandal prone areas.
    Ends misting and fogging caused by high pressure. Stops water waste. Ensures necessary watering occurs in high pressure or wind conditions.
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget your cost of the trencher. Even if you own one you should be charging for its use in your figures. Fuel as well.
  8. GrazerZ

Thanx DanaMac. I just hope we are in the ball park on these figures.
  9. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've done the reading on the SAM and PRS but have never bought one due to the added cost and the normal 1804s seem to work fine. Does anyone think I should be using either of these consistently or just in special circumstances.... (ie. one head at low elevation)
  10. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I aways use the 1804 prs heads.