how's my proposal?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 23, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Let me know what you think about it, anything I need to change?

Attached Files:

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Who is going to check the boxes? Im not impressed, it could be much better. BTW, is it really copywrighted? I got a chuckle out of that.
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

By proposal, you mean you will fill out and present to customer. Right? I think it's pretty nice. If I might suggest, trim it to one page. (good rule for a lot of docs.) Being that you are young and new to the customer, you might want to trim some of the add-ons off the list. Thats why they call them add-ons. Don't scare the guy with a 27 level program and $400 A MONTH. Approach him a couple months after you have been his loyal lawn man and give him a price for the greatly needed service. Since the copyright thing might have legal ramifications I would change the bottom line to something like XXX lawn care Form 043 or something. I understand what you are going for and it's a good Idea. Always appear to the client bigger than you are. Hell it works on lawnsite, and we supposedly know all the tricks.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Customer will be handed form to fill out name, address, phone, maintenance options and then sign and they will hand it to me and I will sign, it's official then. No it's not really copyright! LOL They won't know that though. Like said, just makes you look bigger. Also if you could improve it any, I'd owe ya, but I don't know what else to do to it. Never seen many proposals on here to compare to.

The above explains it. Would be hard to trim it to one page unless I cut out all the descriptions and widened the margins some. But they might not know what each of the options are really. I'll work on it ;)
    I will work to shorten it some maybe.

5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

BHB do you want to be an sucessful man by 25? Learn to talk less and listen more.
  6. Eric it is more of a contract than a proposal.On are proposal we provide detail specifactions and estimates.Also always state on your proposal above where they sign that you are authorized to do the specified.Its just a safety net for you.
  7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Jeez why is everyone so quick to criticize when they should try to help??? Hello! C'mon for cryin out loud I ask for help I get put down and then you complain because I don't say oh thanks for that, please, please be mean to me some more! I like it!
    :rolleyes: :angry: :angry:
  8. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

Honestly, I think that there is just too much there. Save the descriptions for your sales pitch and "proposals". This is more of a contract. My belief is that your contract should cover the basics of the services performed, price, payment terms, and length of contract etc...

Also, Don't expect the homeowner to "upsell" themselves on your add-ons. That is were you come in. You need to be the salesman and explain the benefits of these extra services. My guess is that if you hand them the form, it will comeback to you with only one box checked.

I would suggest that you make out a few different proposals and pricing structures. Talk with the people and figure out what they are looking for. Then when it comes time to work out the numbers, pull out the appropriate contract (Basic lawn service only, Full landscaping service, Year round Service w/ snow removal, etc.)

Finally, I firmly believe in the one- page rule. People don't want to read a book. Keep it simple with lots of white-space. If you use your form, condense it to one page. Move all of your info to a header, lower your font size, use columns to maximize use on the page. Here is a very fast example of your form on one page...

Attached Files:

9. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, try to shorten it, i don't think you need to have so many add on services in there, keep it a little more basic. I try to keep all my residential contracts simple and one page. I hate big long contracts, I had one from a managment company that was 17 pages long, it was crazy. I didn't get that job anyway, i got underbid by 25 grand by some lowballer, but thats another story. Anyway the only other thing i would tell you to do is definitly take that snowplow option out of there. Make it a 9 month contract instead of 12 month and charge per push on the plowing.
  10. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes way to long, And you should make it a contract for you and your customers sake! That way you both know what service you are providing. Again way to long make a simple contract with number of cuts and ect. then on a seperate paper make a a job specification sheet which will go into detail of the work provided. We do mostly commercial but do maintain around 50 homes and we do no work unless a contract is signed. If they dont we wont service them! If your doing residential keep it even shorter then a commercial bid, home owners will get discouraged with too much wording and move to the next company!