How's the Competition Where You Are?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TMN Guy, Jul 2, 2014.

1. TMN Guy

TMN Guy LawnSite Member

The other day, while I was driving to my first cut of the day, I noticed alot of other LCO's driving to their jobs. I counted 7 trucks with trailers in about 15 minutes.

On days I stop for gas, I can count probably 4 or so just at the gas station. If I were to sit there for an hour or so, I could probably count 20 or more LCO's stopping for gas.

So, it got me thinking, how saturated is your area?

2. dbf4992

dbf4992 LawnSite Member

Probably 15 highly established names in a city of 36000 folks

3. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Mine is about the same. Sometimes at red lights I see 3 or 4 outfits. Funny though.....they all seem to go away in August!

Last year was great, I had a bunch of calls at once and found out a bigger LCO went under. Too bad his customers were outside of my service area.

4. TMN Guy

TMN Guy LawnSite Member

I hope that happens here. Not a business going under, just a few that decided to hang it up. I would do good to pick up a few more yards. :)

5. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Practicaly everyone with a pickup here cuts grass on Sat or Sunday
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

3 here over 10 years including ours. the rest are beer guzzlers for money dope heads, people jumping in debt (new truck, 2 new mowers, sitting in parking lots half the day) destroying everything they touch. I live in a now 2 red light big country town a hour away from any big city you cannot go to red light without seeing all kinds of new guys.

Seen many yards messed up, peoples vinyl siding destroyed from idiots not knowing how to use a trimmer it's ridiculous.

I went and bid on a hotel new guys did brush cut left the whole place a wreck and took off before job was finished the girl was new I guess she bought someone else's BS but not heard back and the lot has not been cleared of the brush yet, seemed pretty urgent.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=427509

7. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

Huge market, metro area is over 1 million. Landscaping happens year round and stuff grows quickly, so there is no shortage of work or companies.

How many? I have no idea, but the local Business Journal publishes a list yearly of the 100 biggest LCO's in town. If everyone volunteered there company info I am sure you would need 25-30 employees to make it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

Wow! My city is like 5,000 haha

9. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

Also in a metro area outside of dc in a city of a little over a million. Theres probably 20-30 established lcos around here

10. olajoe808

olajoe808 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5b

1/4 million population adjacent to 1/2 milltion city, short growing season water restrictions and educated consumers. Saying we only use commercial equipment emphasizing qoc or we stripe better is yesterdays game. It's either whoever is cheaper or you have something else to provide.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014