1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How's the Dingo

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Hillbilly, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly LawnSite Member

Hey everybody,
    I bought a Dingo 322 in november, and I was just wandering if anybody else loves this machine as much as I do.
  2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I leased a dingo 222 last october. So far I am very happy. The key is to not expect it to do everything a bigger machine will do.

I think of it as a "extra helper". For those smaller jobs, it comes in extremely handy. Especially pavers. I subcontract my initial excavation out, and then use the machine to move everything else. Great for stone dust, works awesome for moving pavers around (one band at a time), and is the best spreading a few yards of topsoil around. My wheelbarrel has not seen much action since I got the machine.

I looked at the 322, but still had a problem with the price of the machine. I couldn't see shelling out the extra 2k on something that was already as expensive as it was, and so far the chains have worked flawlessly.

Just retrofitted a JD 54 " plow on it, and now its doing some snow removal for me. What a great machine for walkways. Faster than any snow blower, and much more maneuvable than a tractor. Just have to get the power angle set up, but don't want to shell out the money for a set of Parker quick disconnect fittings (something like $80 each) until I get some more work. I welded a frame setup on the extra plate that comes with the ripper/tow bar, and just have to get the hoses set up. Can still switch to the bucket in secs. if needed.

The guys at work laugh at me, but are amazed at how well the machine works. You look funny standing on the back of that thing. They want me to get a rotating beacon mounted on top of a hard hat and a get a 'back pack' spreader for ice melter and head out on the airfield! Don't think so, but am looking to get some work in a condo complex, where the machine could bang out walks/small drives in no time. Could probably do driveways efficiently also, but would have to get a few in a row to make it worth the trouble of trailering around.

[Edited by steveair on 01-25-2001 at 03:11 AM]
  3. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

can you use the dingos for final grading,say about 10,000sq ft.withabout 30yds of topsoil,or is it just to small.or should i ask the question this way,what some of the biggest job the d can do? thanks fellas
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Depends on how much time you want to spend. Think of it as a power wheelbarrow. You want to do a lot of this kind of work get a real machine. But for smaller jobs it's ok.
    Me I want a bigger machine:)
  5. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

how long are we talking,for the size yard i mentioned before.
  6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

General thinking is about 2 to three days.
  7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

The Dingo can haul basically the same amount as a wheelbarrow, so do the math. That is 210 loads to move around. Looks like it would take at least 2 days to move it (16 hr) and then some more time to get the finish grade done, depending on how good you are at grading while dumping. I'd much rather rent a real machine, get finished and move on to the next money-making job.
  8. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure of sq footage, but did a job with about 10 yds of soil to grade out and it took about 1 1/2, and then some time to hand rake smooth.

Of course, I had the soil dumped right in the middle of the yard and just spread it out from there.

The machines are slow, especially on long runs. I wouldn't want to do anything where you have to go over 100 ft+ runs repetitious all day, as other machines are much better for that.

I think they could 'open it up' a little more for more speed, but I guess its safety issue.

9. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, I don't own a Dingo or plan to soon, but I kind of agree about the power wheelbarrow thing. The thing that would interest me more is the hydraulic capability of the machine in a tight size. I would really like the post/tree hole digger and the boom attach for planting trees. And we've all wished we had a machine to get around subdivision houses. Does it justify the cost? Not for me yet. I'll stick to my 753 Bobcat.
  10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I haven't look at a machine that size but for the owners that have them. Do they have a oil cooler? Heat is the biggest killer of hyd attacments so cooling the oil would seem to me a problem with them. They don't have a large hyd oil cap. So oil cooling would be a problem in high heat and tough comditions.