1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How's the Exmark Metro HP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, May 3, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I'm very interested in the Exmark Metro HP with a 36" floating deck. Are there any pros and cons about this model that those of you that used them can tell me about.
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

All pros, no cons. Love mine.
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The biggest con would be it's a Belt Drive!
  4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

GREAT MOWER. Don't worry about belt drive. I'm 6'5" & 285 lbs and it pulls me on a sulky just fine.

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Oh, wow...oooops. Mine is the TTHP, not metro. Sry.
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have a regular Metro and its awesome....the belt drive is not an issue....sure the hydro is better and twice the money, but don't let that scare you....go with what you can afford!
  7. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

maybe the fixed deck.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Metro 48 HP and it is a great mower. Cuts great, pulls velke and my 200# just fine. With mulch kit (summer and fall) it cuts great and leaves clean lawn. Heavy wet grass in spring I need to side discharge but it does that great and in most cases I can cut only once.
    Only thing is the belt drive. Hate it! I wish I had bought the TTHP hydro. I do a lot of small lots and need to back up a lot and this mower does not go backwards. Takes a lot of time to stop- shift gears- PULL it back- stop- shift gears- start being productive again. I believe a hydro will cost a lot less over time because I think I can get more done in the same amount of time.
    The mower also over-runs going down hill and the only way to slow it down is to feather the breaks which than will lock the wheels and tear up the grass. Going sideways across the hill the unit wants to turn down the hill so again you have to feather the break and it tends to lock up. I have these problems because I live in a hilly area so maybe if you are in a flat area this will not matter. Test drive one.
    As far as the floating deck, I don't think it will make much difference while cutting because it is a narrow deck but if you change the deck height a lot than go for it. It is a lot easier and quicker on a floater. The only thing you really have to sell is time so make sure that all your equipment will be the most productive for you. Time is money.
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Frankly, I'm with PMLawn. My metro 36 is a good mower, but the belt drive makes it a bear to back up, and the fixed deck makes changing cut height another chore. The cut is superb, don't get me wrong. The machine is just a lot of work.