Hows the Fall Cleanups Going

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by All_Toro_4ME, Nov 15, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Going not so good here. I think its my area. Maybe some other guys from Oklahoma, Texas, or Missouri can chime in. Of course this is my first year at, but I have seen more then I'd like to experiece thus far. As said many times before, these people only want to pay pennies on the dollar for large quantities of leaves being removed. And it seems $40/hr is too high? WTH. People around here are comfortable with $10-$15 max, rather it takes you 30 minutes or half the day. Im beginning to think its a waste of time, not to mention dusty, dirty, hard to breathe, and itchy. I know some of you guys make some killer profits from fall leaf cleanups, but doesnt seem to be the case here. At least I haven't seen it yet. Maybe I should stick with the grass.:laugh:
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm getting 30 to 35 an hour. Take it or leave it. It doesn't matter to me.
  3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of fall cleanups. I am not a fan of them either. This year, the only cleanups I am doing is showing up and mowing weekly on my regular accounts that have leaves. I will just mulch weekly until they are gone. My customers are fine with this, so far so good. Just charging my regular mowing rate. Usually requires going over the lawn twice, but with no edging or trimming its works out ok.
  4. All_Toro_4ME

Thanks Coonman.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Uhm I haven't had much of a chance to get the blower warmed up yet, my back hasn't felt the pleasure of Santa Claus style tarp loads either, at least not in earnest.

With the lawns I'm also just using the mower and for the most part skip the trimming, just doesn't need it thou I do catch those few high spots the trimmer sees a few minutes of use, then the blowing takes a bit longer at times but all in all I've been charging either the same or 5-10 bucks extra (some of the stuff got deep on me lol) it's not bad, no complaints.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Fall cleanups are slow going in the Northeast because of an unusually warm October. From MA to SC leaves are very slow changing and dropping even slower than usual. Last year my company was done competely with Fall Cleanups on the 28th of November...that ain't gonna happen this year, mid December I would estimate right now and hopefully no early snow surprise.

As far as cleanups, I don't negotiate and never plan to. Although I never mention hourly rates, my job estimates are based on them. Simple backback and WB blowers run at $50 - 55 an hour and running the 61" and 72" Z's with clamshells are at $75 an hour minimum.

If people have a problem with that, fine. Then just get someone else is all. One less property to clean up makes it that much sooner I can get all our trucks and plows ready for snow plowing is all.
  7. All_Toro_4ME

Thats good advice rodfather...
  8. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I range anywhere from 40-60 per man-hr. Plenty of work.:)
  9. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

I personally don't want to do fall cleanups because it is a pain in the ass and my blower is a gas guzzler. I sent a letter to all my customers saying I charge $40 and hour.
  10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Im in Tulsa and have 24 of my 60 accounts signed up for regular leaf cleanup visits. Two of these are weekly and the others are bi-weekly. All but two of these accounts I am able to mulch up with my Quik Trak. I charge $40 per hour (I am solo) with a $50 minimum.
    This is my 5th yr doing leaves and I really have all the work I can (and want) to handle.
    It is dirty, dusty..The two accounts that I cannot mulch suck because I have to blow the leaves and then tarp them into my trailer....LABOR INTENSIVE.
    Anyway, this keeps me in money until the end of the year. Then in January I have a couple of grotesquely overgrown beds to clean. That should keep me busy until almost February.