How's the Ferris IS doing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

For those of you that have bought the Ferris Z's with independent suspension, how are they doing long term in the field?

I'm wondering about the performance, cut, durability and if any of you have found a "down side" to the Ferris design.

Also, does anyone know if there is a mulch kit available? Or any plans for a 61" IS 1000Z?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Nobody using these mowers? I thought some of you bought them.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I demoed one for a day earlier this year and it was a 3000IS. It was a well built machine and the suspension did work well. Had nice features overall.
    Now I already got yelled at by some that own one so mayby it was just my machine but the quality of cut didn't really impress me. That is just my observation from using one for 6 hours. It could have had dull blades or mayby I was goin too fast but it couldn't keep up at some of the lawns. Not all but some.
    It is a good machine and the suspension is truely an engineering feat.

ferris3000 014.jpg

4. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

We have the 3000is z it is great ! We have not had any trouble with it, we also have a 1000z same results but I dont like it. I really dont know how anyone mows without the IS. I demoed the exmark and the dixie their nice if you have flat and smooth lawns but the Is is supiror to any on hilly rough lawns no skidding doen a hill and a nice smooth ride! I dont beleive they are making a fully IS 1000z they have the front but not rear. Hope this helps any other ? pm me !

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

^lawn jockey, sounds like it would work great on some of the larger properties I maintain with mole tunnels all over the place. I asked the homeowner what he wanted to do about them.........nothing. His choice, but I'm looking for solutions. I'm afraid of ending up with a cracked casters, or worse yet a cracked deck. What did you pay for the 3000is? What size of deck and motor do you have?

6. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Very, very, very heavy machine. Quality of cut nowhere near other mowers.

7. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

When I demoed one, it was a very nice machine, built like a tank, cut is good as any other mower, bigger size hydro pumps that others. Only thing I didn't like about it was deck was very hard to lift up other that that great machine.

8. Envy Lawn Service

With the mixed results on quality of cut, I figure it probably just boils down to your area, turf and conditions. The only way I'll iron that one out is my own demo.

As far as the weight, I expected it to be more just from looking at all the extra steel and stuff on it. I don't think that will be much of an issue for me though as I already have a lightweight mower.

lawnjocky, sound like it's been reliable for you. I was kind of conserned about the additional stuff on it that's not found on other machines. But at the same time, I think about the beating and punishment both the mower and I take every day. That can't be much worse than the potential of a few extra moving parts that might break.

In considering another mower purchase, I'm conserned about the same thigs as I was the 1st time around. But honestly after owning a ridgid frame Z, I han't help but "think springs" for many reasons. Also I'd like to add that other than just denial, I can't see why everyone isn't thinking springs.

It just seems to reason that I might be able to get more production out of the IS, which is why I'm thinking about a 61" mower anyways. Plus it also stands to reason that the way the deck is hung from the IS and with the rolling terrain I have, that it would be a real plus with a larger deck.

Now back to the denial thing. I notice things all the time on my Z where I think the IS would really help. I think it would certainly take care of some of the little annoying things associated with rigid frame Z's. Plus I feel that there is a good chance the slope performance might be better overall on the uneven hilly terrain.

9. JCLandWerks

JCLandWerks LawnSite Member

If you put a set of Scag Hi-lift blades on the IS3000 they cut a heck of alot better.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've had like 15 Ferris machines over the past 9 years and I have never had a problem with their cut whether I'm using Gators or Hi-Lifts.

Right now we have 5 (3 WB's and 2 Z's). BTW, both Z's are 1000's w/o the IS system. And no Envy, they don't have a mulch kit available or a IS for the 1000 model. You gotta buy the 3000, 4000, or 5000 to have the IS system.

We mow for the largest Ferris Distributor in the U.S. so I know about some things going on with Ferris. Plus the President of the distributorshop and myself are good friends.