1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hows the money coming in

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sweetlou, Feb 25, 2007.

1. sweetlou

sweetlou LawnSite Member

still have about 1600 outstanding from last season.how are the rest of you guys doing.season starts soon and I have to decide if Im going back to these customers,i have done them all for a couple of years allready and they always wind up paying but always very slow even thru out the season always 3 months behind any advice on what to do , theres about 5 of them Im thinking it would probably be better business to just replace them on the route,with better payers.
  2. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

ya i just got in our last check from from last season....but still got out over $1,000 for plowing....id say go back, unless they dont pay.
  3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Two things. First, you need to put these customers or new ones on a contract that stipulates a planned payment schedule. Also, in this Contract you could include a section for late payment penalties. Second,if you plan on dropping these customers you need to do it in a professional manor. You can mail them a letter or address the customer about this issue in person. I hope you get your money Lou.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You guys actually let people take their sweet time paying their bills? That's not the way it works. If I don't pay a bill, I'd hope it would get sent to collections at some point. We clearly post an invoice date and due date on every invoice we send and give the customer 30 days in most cases to send payment. After that, we start charging interest.

The hard thing now is that the work has already been done. For the future, I suggest you start putting due dates on ALL of your invoices that go out, then they have fair warning that you will take action if they don't pay both monetarily and possibly legally. I'm sure you could take them to a small claims court as it stands right now, but putting that due date on there really gets people's attention. I'd try to get your cash and as soon as you get it, dump them. I'd politely tell them that since they're late payers you can't trust that they'll pay the bills in the future. Most people would not argue with you, they know what they're doing wrong.
  5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I always bill in advance. I send an invoice for the upcoming month with a due date. I get paid prior to doing any work...unless its a commercial account then I just sit and wait the 3 months it takes them to pay and I dont say a word about it.:cry:
  6. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I'd say 98% of people here dont put a due date for fear of losing a customer and their money....rightfully so in some cases but if you arent going to get paid it is better to know right away than to cut them and find out 6 months later.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

on my invoices i always put due upon receipt
  8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

If they havent payed from last season, there is noway i would go back and service that account, to many new accounts out there who will pay on time . My invoices clearly state after 30 days there is a 25 dollar late charge .I work to hard for my money and the cost of doing business is so great these days that we cant let anyone slide by for nonpayment .
  9. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

We always put a due date on invoices,must be paid by date as per outlined contract, then collections. Try not paying your phone bill for one month!
  10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Man I couldnt handle that....if I have someone go 30 days I call them and say, "I'm coming by to get a check today, where will you be at noon?" I dont ask, I tell them I'm coming for the money. People have to learn they cant make us wait on our pay that long!