Hows the

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by John Gamba, Jun 15, 2006.

1. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Xr7 Doing????????Pj said there is is no problems and they cant sell enough.

Lets here it!!!!

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The XR-7 deck on my new 28/60 SuperZ is unbelieveable. It cut great out of the box. But, as you know, there was talk about that uncut strip of grass.

Well, Hustler came to the rescue, and FAST. The baffle fix works GREAT. The strip is GONE.

I knew there was room for improvement on the Ultra-Cut eXmark decks, but I never envisioned a deck that could cut THIS well.

This sounds like a sales speel, but its NOT. It's the speel of a VERY satisfied customer.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

What does this mean, I know they talk funny in Connecticut but do they have an entirely different language than understood English.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

No problems now that we have a update kit for it, and the problems were very regional and particular to certain grasses, in fact it is a very small percentage of the overall units that have seen the issue.
    And we cant build them fast enough.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering if there are any pics or diagrams of the fix. I'm trying to imagine exactly where the problems at and how its fixed. I have pictures of the Xr7 deck on brochures and a picture of the fix would help my confidence. I haven't been able to get the Xr7 deck to give the kind of cut that my Ultra Cut does at least on the grasses here. It doesn't seem to have the lift needed to suck up the matted grass and cut it off level. I am guessing this is due to the larger discharge opening. I'm no expert but willing to listen and learn.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It is a 3D triangular piece that attaches to the "Free Flow Triangle" between the trim side and center blades. It makes it look like a "normal" deck.

As far as cut goes...I think it does MUCH better than the Ultra-Cut here. Lush grass, or weedy/stringy grass is cut 100%. Buckhorn Plantain used to be a nightmare with the Ultra-Cut.....not so with the XR-7.

Somewhere on here there is a picture of the baffle. But if you wan't I'll snap a pic sometime in the next few days to show you.

7. citysexton

citysexton LawnSite Member

Pj why dont they just take these baffles off the ones just coming off the line

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The update kit/baffle isn't being installed at the factory. It's not something they're putting on there.

If you buy an XR-7 and have a cut issue, it's being supplied free of charge. Some grasses aren't experiencing the problem.

[​IMG]

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the info TLS. I found a Hustler dealer today that seemed to be much more knowlegable than most in this area (he knew what an XR7 deck was). But he and the large Exmark dealer in central Kentucky both advised against the efi. I think your are a fan of the efi so why do you think they advise against them. I think I will buy a Hustler next year but I don't believe the 27 will do it. So it will be between the 28 or 30. I also wondered if the efi had a computer that was expensive to replace if it went bad. I don't know if they don't like to work on them or if they are having problems but the dealers of different brands here don't seem to like them. Exmark claims they save 20% on fuel but one repair could eat up the gas saving. You input welcome.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Those dealers are not knowledgeable at all on electronic fuel injection, just stop and think a minute, why is there so many efi vehicles if this were not the best thing at this point in time. This is the first 28 efi I have owned and I can tell you hands down it is so far ahead of the two previous 27's I had there is nothing to compare. The 28 feels and responds like a 30 plus hp engine compared to the 27 and I have talked with the Kohler rep personally on the difference in 30 hp and he said
    " the efi will feel stronger than the 30 because it has no throttle lag and the response time is a lot faster, there should be at least 30% better fuel economy than the 30 because it likes gas" as far as anything man made it is capable of giving problems but the Kohler rep said they had a few problems in the beginning but for over a year now he has been like the Maytag man and the engine had been flawless, these were his words. You were talking about computers thinking for the efi engines how many do you know of or have heard about that has gone bad on cars or trucks in your life time, I'm 57 and I had one computer put in a 1985 Pontiac and that is the only one I can ever remember having a problem with since they started fuel injection so I don't think you should be to concerned with that. What will come nearer giving you problems with electronics is moisture and Kohler put a new sealing process on everything that moisture could get in and cause current changes. I can say without doubt the 28 efi on the 66" XR-7 deck (that I have) will mow more grass and better than anything I have used or heard of, the only thing I would even think about trading for would be the same mower with a 35 efi and that is just because I like power in general, I have been use to operating farm tractors up to the 300 hp range and I have never seen what I thought was to much power.