hows this deal on used walkbehinds?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jd6323, Jan 6, 2006.

1. jd6323

jd6323 LawnSite Member

I just found this used exmark walkbehind on a local place's site
    http://www.southlandengine.com/Previously Owned/Other Brands.htm
    I stopped by just to check it out today and saw that they also have a gravely 36" for $995. I didn't have too much time to look at them and the salesman that was helping me didn't seem to know too much about them. The gravely LOOKED like it had more time and abuse on it but that's just what I saw. The exmark has that big seat and all but I'd rather just a stand up jungle wheel which the gravely once had but somebody took it off. Are these good prices for used mowers and what are some things I should look for to show what kind of codition they're in?

I don't know much about exmark and have only used gravely stuff when cutting with other people so I kinda trust it and hear that gravely's the way to go.

2. jd6323

jd6323 LawnSite Member

no suggestions?

3. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Perhaps post down in the commercial mowing forum Good luck!

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

As far as mower is concerned the Exmark is an really good mower. How many hours does the Exmark have? You will probably have to find out a little more info. on both of them before you can make any kind of decision.

5. jd6323

jd6323 LawnSite Member

yeah that's the problem; somebody is selling the exmark through the dealer I think so they said they'll have to try and get in touch with him to get the info becuase they have absolutely nothing.

Say they are both in similar condition...is the gravely or exmark a better mower (keep in mind the $200 price difference)?

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

You will get mixed reviews on this I am sure. I can only speak from my experience. I personally like Exmark. Mine runs like a champ. The cut is great. Another LCO in my area likes Gravely and swears by them. Look into everything including service. This is key. If you buy either machine who will fix it if and when it goes down? What kind of turn around do they usually have? Will they lend you any equipment while your machine is in the shop?
    Do a search on Gravely. There was a thread not to long ago where someone was talking about that particular brand. I am sure this doesn't help much. I personally would buy the Exmark preferably, but that's JMO.

7. jd6323

jd6323 LawnSite Member

That's a good point point trinity, the dealer that has the mowers is where I get work done and they don't sell exmark so I'll have to see if they work on them. Most of what I see going in and out of there is gravely and some hustler and dixie (the brands they sell) so I guess it would be better to bring a gravely to them being that it's the brand they know best?

I won't like buying a mower that's already been used being that if it won't be kept up like I would have it but it's a matter of spending ALL of my money on a new mower or having some left for a blower and other stuff I need after buying used. Plus I'll hopefully grow enough in the next year to upgrade my equipment. Kinda sucked the last couple years with just a push mower and I had to turn down business because I was putting over an hour into each one (good sized yards).

8. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

I'd rather have Exmark.