Hows this for mower plans for the future?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Jan 8, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, right now im mowing with a 21" honda and now a 48" eXmark metro 15hp kawi. Im going to use this setup for at least 2006 season as i plan to really expand.

2007 season: get a 36" Wright Stander and also use eXmark

2008: (i am planning to really expand) ill have my biz lisense and be insured. i am thinking of a wright stander 48" to go along with the 36"er and sell the exmark.

This is just an idea that has come to mind. I like the design of the standers with the speed of a Z and the versatility and manueverability of a WB. Just something to throw out there to get opinions on. I like to have a plan for things and i am starting to develop that now. Thanks guys

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Your gonna get a real hard time about not being licensed and insured now, so if I were you I would edit my post REAL QUICK.

3. mcwlandscaping

NO this is for when i get lisensed though, this isn't for now.

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Is there any way you can buy what you need in the beginning and not buy and sell every year? Seems like bad planning/waste of money. Why a 36" and 48" Stander. Is the 36" for gated areas? I would get a 52" Stander instead of a 48". Why did you buy a 48" walkbehind if you're planning on getting a 48" Stander, why didn't you just buy the Stander to begin with, lack of money? I'm not trying to criticize, just understand.

5. mcwlandscaping

The 48 was because of lack of money and the need for something bigger, yes the 36" is for speed in those gated yards, the 48" stander is for bigger lots, a 52" anything wouldn't fit on alot of the props here.

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, yeah, sometimes circumstances don't allow for the ideal scenario for the long term. Now that I know where you're coming from, sounds like a fairly good plan to me.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

From an investment standpoint, it would also make sense to invest ztr's so you can sit down and not bounce and twist on those knees all day long. Maybe you could consider something like the Gravely 34z at around $4k last I checked or even a Deere 717 if you need something slightly larger. IMHO you would get MUCH better productivity from a Z (even a small one) than a modestly large wb (especially a belt driven model). This way you could knock out more lawn in a given time period, thus paying off the Z much sooner, which you would also never outgrow/wear out and not loose money trading in every year (which REALLY adds up pretty quick).

I know if I had it over to do again, I'd probably shoot for a very small Z that can get into "most" backyards and still be very quick for most front lawns. Then if you do need something for larger props, you could buy a bigger Z in a year or two and have two very practical mowers that you would never have to trade up for. . .Hope this helps.

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

liscense and insurance prior to getting the new mower.

Just like the Ferrari in the drive way. If you can't afford gas and insurance, you can't afford to own it.

I realize you are 15, but do you and your parents realize that if you do majorly mess something up, they are COMPLETELY liable. At least get the business incorporated in one of your parents names and get the insurance on their name. Give them a 10% ownership or something. Running without insurance is like swimming in a shark pond with razor cuts.

9. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

Get your name registered with the state through a parent it cost like $25 for a sole pro. it is worth it.
    the mowers seem to work in the area. I have a 36" walkbehind for gated areas and 48" ZTRs for the bigger areas. One thing to keep in mind is grass collection. You can only get a small basket for those standers. If you have to collect a lot of grass you might want to look into a ZTR with a trac-vac.
    The trac-vac is nice to cleanup leaves with too.

Good luck
    Matt

10. mcwlandscaping

beautifullawns, what would be the benefits of getting my name registered through the state?

Yes, my parents understand that they are liable, i would like to get insurance but can't. The insurance will deffinatly come before these mowers. Thanks for the replies