how's this for watering?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 22, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

went to one of my lawns, i just cut it 6 days ago. the grass was high, very high, and very wet. i'm sure it didn't rain last night. it's so high and wet, that's it's laying over. i start mowing, make 2 passes, put the mower back on the trailer. knock on the door, "ummm, did you water this morning?" she says, "well, i started monday, i have the system set so it goes on at midnight, and runs till 4 am, every day." i said,that is a very bad way to water." she said, "well, i been doing it for 10 yrs like that, i like the results." i said, "well, i aint cuttin it. see you later." 4 hrs of steady watering, every day. can you believe it? lots of shade too

2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

You know Bobby I don't criticize you much but here is where I think that you could have made a very good name for yourself. Explain to her how to water. That she needs no more than one inch of water per week to maintain a healthy lawn and shrubs. How she would be helping the environment and that for about $50 you could calibrate her system for her. That by over watering she can actually kill plants and cause fungus in turf. You then look like the expert that you are and she is happy she has someone who cares. If that does not work then continue to cut her lawn but only cut it once. When she asks why it look like crap then explain it is the water. Just my opinion.

3. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Yes Bobby I agree with nelbuts. But i still also wish I had the balls to get pissed of like you do and drop an account because they piss me off. I can't afford to loose accounts right now, but even if I could I would try to work with her and for 50 bucks colibrate her system. Just as long as it is a profitable lawn. I would also assure her with the amount of rain we are getting she does not need to water much, if at all right now.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

boy o boy, some people give me no credit at all. when she signed up in march, she was given written instructions on proper watering, and also advised never to water the day before her scheduled mowing day. cmon nelbuts, a little credit please???

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

by the way king, how can you not afford to lose an account? i ask this only because we live in the same area, and i'm signing new clients at the rate of 2-3 a week at this point. the season isn't even 2 months old, and i've added 29 new weekly mows, and tons of extras(trimming, etc). are you having trouble signing up new customers?

6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just signed another customer up for weekly mowing, my 1st weekly customer $25 a week lol :) its near my house as well!!!!