hows this sound?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jun 8, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

was thinking of sending letters to all my existing customers to get referrals. my plan is to offer a 10% discount to my customers who refer a friend to my services. the stipulations would be that for every month the referred customer stays with me, the original customer would receive 10% off their bill. there of course would be a cap of 5 months. how does this sound to you guys? critiques anyone? thanks.

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Sounds good....would it be cheaper for ya to offer one free cut?? Might even be better to metion to your customers that your looking for some new accounts. May get a few without offering anything. word of mouth is the best advertising....Good luck....:usflag:

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i've gotten 5 referrals so far this year from existing customers. just thought i'd try to squeeze a few more out of them and throw them a bone in the process.

4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I offer a credit for $25 after a referral from them has reached a 6 cut minimum. A one-time percentage discount would be less for most of my customers, however even though it is less I would think they would respond better to a 10% discount than a $25 credit, for some reason. I know percentages grab my attention....

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think it's a good idea. However, you say, "sending letters". For us, with 98 customers, I would actually enclose a slip in with their monthly invoice, and that would save $41.16 in postage if we were going to do that. My point is, don't waste the postage sending these out separately, include them with your next invoice.

Another thing, I don't think you need to give them a discount up to 5 months, a one time discount is plenty in my opinion.
    We've done the referral thing in years past, and I've always stated, "if you refer us a customer who signs on for a whole season of service, you will receive 20% off of one months invoice. So a $160 monthly customer gets 32 bucks off of one invoice.

6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I offer 1 free mowing per referral that signs up with me.

7. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I offer the same thing all season. When I don't have anything else to send with the bills I just send a reminder of my referral policy. Good luck. This is by far the best way to expand your business.