How's your cut after 1500 hrs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jun 16, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering how your mowers cut after 1500 hrs. I've never run a mower that long so I would be interested to see how they preform after a few years assuming the spindles are in good shape. Also is you mower still in good enough shape after you wear one engine out to invest in a new one? And will some of these diesel powered mowers last as long as the engine? It looks to me like most people keep mowers about 2000 hrs but if you have made an investment in a diesel powered or water cooled mower that will last longer than this what do you do. I am talking ZTR's here.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I count my wear and tear in yards cut, anything that can't last 2,000 yards isn't even worth bothering with. 3-4 thousand is more like it but really, I prefer at least 5 thousand yards per machine, or about 8 years minimum!

I bough my '98 proline 4 years ago used for a thousand dollars and I am sure I've put at least 1,000 yards on it and I'm sure it had 1-2 thousand before, so likely it has 3 or 4 thousand yards cut under her belts. The only person who can tell the difference between the '98 and the 05's cut is me, the mowers are so close in quality that I can start a yard with one and switch half-way through and finish with the other. And the reason it is like that is because when one breaks down and I have to finish the yard with the other machine, I don't want my customer to know the difference.

As for the other question, the engines do lose power over the years. First, I have to replace the Tecumseh transmission because they break down, but after I do that, I do plan on getting a new 15hp Kohler for around $500 for it.

They're built like tanks.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

My exmark has just over 1500 on it. I cant beleive how people say 2000 is the life of the mower. I am not the best whenb it comes to maintenance, but I still feel like I have a new mower. It still cuts like a dream.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I have a '95 lazer with about 2000 hours, the cut nowhere near as good as my ultracut, but thats because of the technology we had 11 years ago, not b/c of the hours.

5. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

My lc lazer has about 1400 hours on it. Had to work over the deck linkage and height indicator at about a 1000 hours because the wear was making it cut much lower than the indicator said. Except for normal maintenance parts(blades,belts,guage wheels,caster tires,spindle bearings,etc) the mower is all origional and still has the great Exmark cut. No reason why it shouldn't go another 1400 hours. I'll get tired of it and want something new before I ever wear it out. I fully expect to get 6000 hours out of my Scag diesel.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I picked the 1500-2000 hr figure from reading post. I really didn't know and thats why I posted. I always wonder why one would pay extra for say a water cooled engine that last a bit longer when they could buy another new Kohler after 2000 hrs and be money ahead? I'll have to plead ignorance on this subject because I really have no experience in how long mowers, engine types, etc last. I have a friend with a 28 hp water cooled and he has to have weights up front, worry about over heating problems, just for an engine that will last a bit longer. Is it worth it? I know one guy locally that had 5000 hrs on a diesel Grasshopper before quiting the mowing business. mower still going I think so maybe it is worth it. Thanks for the reply.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ha!

Check the classifieds and the dealer used sections.
    Most guys dump them just before or just after 1,000 hours.
    Most under 1,000.

Most guys replace their mowers every 2-3 years and they don't run hard enough or keep them long enough to log a lot of hours. Once the warranty is out, they get rid of them as soon as they can work a new deal or pay them off (2-3 years).

These guys should stick to the air cooled gas engines, or whatever is cheaper to own and operate 2-3 years.

Guys that want to keep them long term can repower or just buy a diesel.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

2,400 hours on our lazer hp and it cuts as good today as it did brand new. When the engine blows it will get a new one. Other than tires, bearings, spindles, belts or the engine there isnt anything else that can wear out. After about 2,500 hours it is nice to get a new mower and use the older one part time or as a spare just in case. Thats why we bought our new Cub Tank.

9. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Ive got 2,100 on my 60" Lazer Z , I replaced the 23hp kohler 4 weeks ago at 2,026 hours, I only replaced the motor because the quality of the cut is the same today as when it was new and the over condition of the mower is excellent still have the original spindles, the only other things that have worn out are 1 PTO and the operators seat and several key and PTO switches..

10. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2400 hrs on my Toro Z. It cuts awesome. The engine was replaced at 1600 hrs due to a Kawasaki bearing problem.